Need Help Narrowing Down Cameras

TheCitrusPanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, so I am a beginner trying to get into photography and I am currently looking at two different cameras. Right now I am picking between the Canon T3 (a DSLR) and the Nikon Coolpix L830 (a digital camera). It seems like the way to go is a DSLR, but I'm not sure at the moment.

It depends.

It depends on your intent. What kind of photography do you like to do?

It depends on your budget. What is your proposed budget?

The main advantage a DSLR offers is the interchangeability of lenses.

Nikon's equivalent to the Canon T3 would be the D3100.

It depends.

It depends on your intent. What kind of photography do you like to do?

It depends on your budget. What is your proposed budget?

I'd prefer to stay at ~$350, but I am able to go a little over if need be. The kind of photography I enjoy are landscapes and cityscapes, especially landscapes.

Canon T3's are great !

For landscapes and cityscapes I think you'd probably be better served by the higher image quality and better dynamic range of the DSLR. The downside to the DSLR is that it will be larger and heavier than the point and shoot, as well as more expensive. The upside is if you decide later on you need say more telephoto reach, etc - well you can just buy a new lens instead of getting a whole new camera.

You'll probably also want to consider getting yourself a tripod of some sort, and maybe a remote shutter release - that way you can take shots using much longer exposures (say a cityscape at dusk or even at night) effectively.

Thanks for the information! I believe I'm going to go ahead and get the DSLR as most people recommended it. Thankfully I already have a nice tripod, so all I need is the camera for now.

I'd prefer to stay at ~$350, but I am able to go a little over if need be. The kind of photography I enjoy are landscapes and cityscapes, especially landscapes.

Go mirrorless! For that budget you can get a Samsung NX2000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back