Need help on what camera to purchase

karrief35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to dslr world and really can't decide now on which camera to buy. I was headed towards Sony a65, after talking to a best buy rep., he was talking so highly of this camera for being a first time user, shutter speed, etc. My intentions were to get the canon t41 going in there, and he has me really confused. Lol. I want to make the right decision for the amount of money I'm about to spend, and a camera that i will def grow into. I'm also curious on what extra lens should I purchase right away, that I may need for great pics. Thanks for any advice. :)

Hi, it's for passion or professional. Assure your budget also feel comfort in which. I think Canon is best from Sony in case of professional. I saw photographers who use it. Welcome for share. :p:p

The T4i or an equivalent Nikon product is a better choice IMHO. The vast availability of used lenses is just one reason why. For lenses, choose quality over quantity. Avoid the "superzoom" lenses for they do not produce very sharp images and need to be used in well lit situations. Because people are always upgrading, consider a used body. For a beginning, non-pro they are perfectly capable. The money saved can buy better glass. Better glass = better pictures.

It depends on who you talk to. That salesperson likes Sony. Lots of people like Canon. Others like Nikon. Don't forget about Pentax and others.

Confusion is the natural state of affairs, but read the link posted in KmH's post.

It took me almost 6 weeks of reading reviews, scanning forums to narrow my choices down. Then I want to a camera store and spent some time playing with them to get a feel for how they fit in my hand, how easy the buttons were, navigation of the screens etc. For every person it's going to be different. You can look at all of the techy stuff to narrow down 2-3 items, but the feel is going to be the deciding factor. Nikon and Cannon are both at the top of the list for most, some don't like the placement of buttons or screens so they chose what makes sense to them. Another suggestion, look around at stores where you can "rent" a camera for a day or two (you'd be surprised at how many their are) and really play with it.

Karrief35; I just ran across this: [h=3]
Sony DSLR Flash Shoe
[/h]• Adapts the hot shoe on a Sony DSLR camera to a standard hot shoe."

The little adapter is only about $15.00, but still, does that not say something about the Sony line?

Why not go talk to a different salesperson?

You can also do unbiased research and read reviews at Digital Photography Review. I read dozens of reviews before making my purchase. As an additional lens, I would recommend a fixed focal length ("prime") lens, with an apateure of 2.8 or less. I have a Nikon 35mm 1.8/f ($199). Worth every penny.

You can also do unbiased research and read reviews at Digital Photography Review. I read dozens of reviews before making my purchase. As an additional lens, I would recommend a fixed focal length ("prime") lens, with an apateure of 2.8 or less. I have a Nikon 35mm 1.8/f ($199). Worth every penny.
That's what I've done, is read a lot and went with canon t4i and a 50 mm prime lens to start. I ordered everything off eBay and will get it Tom. Pretty excited. ;-)

That's what I've done, is read a lot and went with canon t4i and a 50 mm prime lens to start. I ordered everything off eBay and will get it Tom. Pretty excited. ;-)

Not eBay. Lol. I meant amazon. :)

I would have went with the sony because....., only joking:lmao:, now that you have your camera don't read up about other cameras for a while. The t4i is a great purchase, enjoy

I know you already got it (awesome purchase!) but don't talk to Best Buy people about cameras. I only go to camera stores to talk to people because that's all they do. Best Buy sales people are there to sell stock, not be pros at what they are selling.

I would have went with the sony because....., only joking:lmao:, now that you have your camera don't read up about other cameras for a while. The t4i is a great purchase, enjoy

I have been reading on other cameras and almost was going to switch to Nikon, due to the fact I can upload pics on my phone thru wifi. Your right, I'm done doing research on cameras now and focusing on my canon to learn about that. :). Thanks for all your advice.

Most reactions

Back