NEED HELP! Serious problem.

wil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I use a CanoScan 4200f to scan slideds into my computer. But the quilty of the images seem poor to me. When I opened up the pic's image size setting it reads only 72dpi I had it set to 400dpi sand it won't change. The film I used was Kodak Max versatility 400 and AGFA Vista 400. It also seem very "Grainy" am I doing somthing wrong or is it crappy film. The photos are for a Scottish clan gathering shoot.

Try scanning at a different size - not just DPI.

Is the graininess on the photo itself or only after you scan?

Looking at the negitives it apears to be after the scan. Its hard to tell to be sure. I was shooting at f8 & 1/250 sun to my back. Very sunny day And hot @ 90 Deg.

Part of the problem is probably that you're using a flatbed scanner to scan your film. Flatbeds usually do a very poor job with film. I would recommend a dedicated film scanner, like the Plustek Opticfilm 7200 or the KonicaMinolta Dimage Scan Dual IV. That should help you get better quality results.

I doubt seriously that it is anything you are doing wrong in the scan process. It is the film speed selected with the bright sunny conditions you have mentioned. Next time try using a slower speed Kodak Potra or maybe Fuji NPC 160 and do some side by side comparisons with the 400 speed film.

Thanks for the advice. How would the slower speed film do with high paced sports. Would you be able to stop the action effectively.

What would be the out come if I use Fuji Reala 100 and set the ASA to 400. Would the quilty be better or worst.

Worse, I don't think Reala is a film that necessarily responds to that. If you need 400 film you could use better 400 film (NPH?), but 400 film at 1/500th shutter speed and f4 is the same exposure as 1/500th f2 with 100 film, so you may just need to shoot with a larger aperature.

Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back