Need help starting in Photography

CoryG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a few questions i need answered before i decide to jump into the world of photography

Im a graphic designer looking to get into photography. Since i have background in photoshop and other photo editors i will be able to touch them up.

1: What makes photography fun, challenging, or worth doing?

2: What should i take pictures of?

(Im going to Atlantic City, NJ next month and can take pictures of the beach and boardwalk)

3: Why do you like to take part in photography?

and now a few setup questions

1: What is a camera that can take hi-res pictures for under $100

2: What else do i need.

Im starting a website next month for my Graphic Design company and wanted to do some photography on the side.

I'm not a professional, photography is just a hobby for me...but what would make it worth learning is knowing I could create quality memories for myself and other people through my expertise and knowledge. That would be worth it to me.

Take pictures of anything, everything, from every different angle, laying down, leaning over, standing on something, you name it, do it. You never know what you could get. To be a photographer I believe you need to have a vision of what the picture COULD BE, not what it is but what it could be, then you find a way to make it come alive in a way someone else hasn't before...or even if someone has, you can still make it come alive for you. Be open to criticism because it will be a great teacher.

A camera under $100? That is a very low low price range. Either look for something used (ebay, craigslist, etc) or you can look into something like the Canon A1200. But under $100 you will likely not find anything with really fantastic photos and manual settings. But then again, it is not always the camera, but the person behind it. However, having a small auto camera will severely limit you especially in low light conditions, etc.

Good luck!

Really?

If you can't answer this (1: What makes photography fun, challenging, or worth doing?) yourself, just stick to being a graphic designer. You'll do better.

Welcome!

1. Can't really quantify it, other than to say, for me, it's the eternal search to capture "that" moment forever as a visual record. What makes it worth doing is a pay-cheque!

2. Whatever you like, whatever you're interested in, or, whatever you're paid to.

3. See #1.

4. Define "high resolution". Every camera from the cheapest webcam to the most expensive Phase One backs can produce high resolution images to the maximum extent of their sensor. It really depends on your intent of the images. If you want nothing more than 75dpi web images, than any camera will work. If you're doing billboard shots, well, that's a whole 'nother level. I will say however that any camera under $100 isn't worth spending the money on. If you plan to become even remotely serious, consider spending at LEAST $300 on either a decent mid-range P&S or used higher-end camera.

What else you need depends totally on what you plan to do. It could range anything from lenses to studio lights, backgrounds... If you're planning on doing this for pay, then you really need to step back and learn a LOT more. If it's just for fun, that's different. Go for it!

1. almost the same that makes fun, challenging, or worth doing any other human activity :)

2. anything. I like portraits and some abstracts, but I try to shoot anything

3. because it is fun, challenging, and worth doing.

4. You are confusing resolution with quality. Under $100 you will find cameras with same number, or very close, of megapixel as $2000 cameras, but they are a fully different story. So, before any spending decision, investigate differences among point-and-shoot, bridge cameras, mirrorless, and dSLR.
If you just need something to take snapshots, buy one at random. I have a Canon A1200 but it represents for me the third camera -it's in my bag as a last resort. With some more dollar, I would buy a Panasonic DMC-S3, faster shutter lag.

5. A good book, a good camera, a tripod, time and patience.

As a person with a background in graphic design, with Photoshop experience, I would think that you should know just what people are looking for. You should use all of your experience in what you have been designing, and looking at, and try to master or reproduce that"style" with your own panache. Graphic design is all about eye catching, and eye popping, apply your work to your eye through the view finder.

As for the under a $100 camera. . .well, good luck and God speed. Fortunately as far as images go, you have Photoshop and graphic design experience, so you CAN make miracles happen.

1. Its an artform. Do you like to be creative ? Then art in general and photography in special might be for you.

2. Whatever you like.

3. I think my answer to 1.) already covered that one.

4. To cite a member of this forum: "Photography is not for the weak of wallet". You might find surprisingly cheap film cameras though. And if you have a current phone cameras, some of those, like the new iPhone 5, have surprisingly high image quality.

5. What you need for your photography depends upon what you want to shoot and your personal preferences.

Some month is passed, and the OP never came back.

1: What makes photography fun, challenging, or worth doing?
everything and hot girls

2: What should i take pictures of?
everything and hot girls

3: Why do you like to take part in photography?
hot girls and free drinks

1: What is a camera that can take hi-res pictures for under $100

LOL

2: What else do i need.

everything and hot girls

Most reactions

Back