Need help with baseball photography...

kylehess10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kylehessphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,, I'm new here, and looking to get some help. I enjoy taking MLB photography, and I often sell my work, but there is one main problem with my pictures, which is the backgrounds. Professional pictures automatically have the crowd blurred out but my camera doesn't do that. Is that any way I can edit my pictures so it can have that professional look with the background blurred out? Here's some of my pictures to show an example:

MarkTeixeira6_filtered.jpg

JoeyVotto5_filtered.jpg

AndreEthier2_filtered.jpg

look @ those sexy lenses in the bg of pic 3
lol

Um, you can use tools to select the background in photoshop and blurr it using filters... i dunno how to other than photoshop or other image editing tools

You use what those guys in the background with the white lenses are using. 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4, and 600mm f/4 lenses. Photoshop blurring looks fake and cheesy.

All I an say is go SONY. What was the lense you were using that allowed you to get a shot like this @ 63mm?

I believe the issue here is regarding depth of field. All your subjects are appearing to be the same dimension.

As others have said your problem is a lens problem. The guys you see in the background of your images are the ones getting the blurred background you are looking for. What exactly are you currently using sice you are selling your imges there should be some point you can justify purchasing a qality lens.

I think Mark Teixeira (Can't spell his name) was a little late on the pitch. Sorry, I can't help you with the pictures but I could help you with your swing.

Who is buying your pictures? Not specifically but what type of client?

Like everyone else, take a look at your len. If you can with your lens, you want to be shooting at f/2.8 or lower. This will bring you baseball player in focus and blur out the back ground a bit.
And while you are at it. (If it's a sunny day) push your shutter speed up as high as it will go. This will capture the motion for you as well.
Good luck with your photos :)

Thanks everyone for your responses! The camera is use is a Sony DSC-H3....not the greatest in the world, but still very decent.

daluke - Yep, you're right.....I believe when I took that shot he hit a foul ball.

dEARlEADER - Mainly autographer seekers. Just last week, Gregor Blanco of the Atlanta Braves was having an autograph signing here in Georgia and the owner of the store didn't have any pictures to get signed since he was a rookie and didn't have any shots out yet. I showed him the pics I had and he loved one specifically and printed out about 100 and they were selling quick at the signing

beckyh - Yep,, I already do that. Top shutter speed is 2000 which is what I try to use every single time

Thanks everyone for your responses! The camera is use is a Sony DSC-H3....not the greatest in the world, but still very decent.

daluke - Yep, you're right.....I believe when I took that shot he hit a foul ball.

dEARlEADER - Mainly autographer seekers. Just last week, Gregor Blanco of the Atlanta Braves was having an autograph signing here in Georgia and the owner of the store didn't have any pictures to get signed since he was a rookie and didn't have any shots out yet. I showed him the pics I had and he loved one specifically and printed out about 100 and they were selling quick at the signing

beckyh - Yep,, I already do that. Top shutter speed is 2000 which is what I try to use every single time

good for you man..... thats a good proactive way to get some money for your pic's....

Well considering what you are using you are doing a heck of a job. If you wanted to do somw of what you were talking about you are definately in for a heck of an investment. I would say minimum like a Nikon D80 or sometihng similar for the body http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449061-REG/Nikon_25412_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html this would be for just the body then you should add a lens like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/274780-USA/Nikon_2139_70_200mm_f_2_8D_VR_G_AFS.html that would give you the blur you are looking for. I put up Nikon models just because that is m favorite you can also go for something similar in Canon whatever you do don't go out and do something silly like buy a Sony Dslr or something like an Olympus or Pentax.

Well considering what you are using you are doing a heck of a job. If you wanted to do somw of what you were talking about you are definately in for a heck of an investment. I would say minimum like a Nikon D80 or sometihng similar for the body http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449061-REG/Nikon_25412_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html this would be for just the body then you should add a lens like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/274780-USA/Nikon_2139_70_200mm_f_2_8D_VR_G_AFS.html that would give you the blur you are looking for. I put up Nikon models just because that is m favorite you can also go for something similar in Canon whatever you do don't go out and do something silly like buy a Sony Dslr or something like an Olympus or Pentax.

What kind of shutter speed does that camera have? The Sony I have has a top shutter speed of 1/2000 sec, which is the speed I commonly use at games

What's the zoom range on your camera. Minimum aperture?

Nice shots regardless. Tells me you deserve to invest on some pro lenses.

Is it legal to sell photographs of professional baseball players with consent from the league?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back