Need Help With Canon FD Zoom Lens.

NEPats37

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This may sound pretty simple but I need to ask. I have a Canon Zoom Lens FD. Above the aperture ring there are two vertical lines side by side. One is greeen the other is a pale red. Which one should I have lined up with the desired aperture? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

In the picture below you can see an "A" with a green and red line above it. That "A" is for auto. If I take it out of Auto and adjust the aperture manually I am unsure whether to line up the desired aperture with the green or the red line. It stops at both lines, so its hard to know what aperture your actually set at.

fd14_1.JPG

This may sound pretty simple but I need to ask. I have a Canon Zoom Lens FD. Above the aperture ring there are two vertical lines side by side. One is greeen the other is a pale red. Which one should I have lined up with the desired aperture? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

You have me stumped. The aperture settings are either a white dot or a red line with a dot on all my lenses. Distance the Feet are white and Metric is green on the scale. If there's a red line on the focusing ring, it's for infrared compensation.

Thanks for adding the picture. Now I have to add, I don't have a clue why there are two lines. Here's the ultimate answer. When the "A" clicks, look at which line it's lined up with. Or when any stop clicks, look at which line... that's the one to use.

That is strange! Best guess is that the white line on the left, which may be a green line in reality or on a better computer screen (I'm on an old laptop) is the one to use. Now I have to go look at all my lenses again. :D

Above the aperature ring is often for lining up the focus. As stated above, green light for normal film, and the red light to compensate for the focus shift in the lens when using infrared sensitive film.

Like Garbz said, it is for infrared film. Infrared film reacts to different wavelengths of light than standard film. This infrared light is out of phase with the visible light, so you must change the lens settings accordingly.

1 click is 1 stop, forget the lines, one way opens up, the other closes down, if your lens is fully stopped down to f22 then a click is f16 another f11 and so on.

1 click is 1 stop, forget the lines, one way opens up, the other closes down, if your lens is fully stopped down to f22 then a click is f16 another f11 and so on.

This lens has intermediate stops in between he numbers. So its becomes diffucult when the meter tells me to use a certain aperture....im not sure where to line it up. anyone use this lens and know?

This lens has intermediate stops in between he numbers. So its becomes diffucult when the meter tells me to use a certain aperture....im not sure where to line it up. anyone use this lens and know?

In that case dont even look at the lens, just click the stops till the meter gives you the correct exposure, or the exposure you require. This is exactly how I work with my camera on manual, I find its easiest and can continue to follow the subject without taking my eye from the viewfinder and missing the shot.

By the way, I am trying to help even if I appear brusque, its just my way, sorry:er:

In that case dont even look at the lens, just click the stops till the meter gives you the correct exposure, or the exposure you require. This is exactly how I work with my camera on manual, I find its easiest and can continue to follow the subject without taking my eye from the viewfinder and missing the shot.

By the way, I am trying to help even if I appear brusque, its just my way, sorry:er:

That is how my nikon works....when I turn the aperture ring it tells me the correct speed. But with my Canon it doesnt do that. when in manual what it does is it shows the selected speed that I have chosen and the recommended aperture that the camera recommends. nothing changes as I turn the aperture ring.

I'm a Nikon user too so I didn't know about this quirk with canon, I assumed that in manual mode all camera functions would be manual, sorry.

Most reactions

Back