Need help with choosing the right polarizing filter!

Pkboi24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a canon rebel K2. I want to purchase a polarizing filter but I don't know what to buy? Many of the ones I've seen come in different sizes. I'm afraid I will buy the wrong size. I have a regular stock lens. How much would one normally spend on a polarizing filter? I've seen a wide range of prices. What's the best brand? I'd really appreciate some help on this one. Thanks!

--Peter

Well I'm not sure what you mean by a regular stock lens... the size of your lens for a threaded circular polarizer should be marked down on the lens itself. Expect something like 52-62mm... to play it safe though, you should bring your camera in to the store and try on the different polarizing filters. Quantaray probably makes the most affordable polarizers I've seen... around 20-30$. But you can get other brand name ones like Nikon polarizers that will be more expensive.

You need to buy one that fits the front threads of your lens. Look at the lens...it should have a diameter symbol followed by a number...maybe on the front or on the side. It's probably 55mm or 58mm.

There are obviously different qualities of filters. In my experience, price is usually a good basis of quality. The more expensive ones are better. When I'm not sure, I usually buy something in the middle...not the cheapest one but not the most expensive. Maybe go to you local photo shop and ask them.

I just checked my lens, it's 35-80mm. I couldn't find a diameter. I suppose I should just go to the camera store to check.

From a quick search...it appears to have a 52mm filter diameter.

That's fairly small which means the filters should be a little cheaper...but the problem is that if you buy any other lenses down the road...chances are that the new lens will have a bigger filter diameter.

Now you can buy adapters to fit different size filters & lenses...they are called step-up or step down rings. It's much better to put a bigger filter onto a smaller lens with a step-up ring...becasue a step-down ring & smaller filter may block part of the lens.

The point is that maybe you should consider getting a bigger filter...like a 58mm...and a 52-58 step-up ring. That way you will be covered if & when you buy a new lens with a wider front.

Of course, if you don't plan on getting a new lens...just go with the 52mm filter. I would also recommend the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens (I always recommend it :) ) and it also has a 52mm filter size.

You're absolutely right. It was on the inside of the cap. It's 52 mm. Thanks a lot! I'll probably order one online.

Does anyone know the difference between a circular polarizing filter and a regular polarizing filter?

Hey There!
You definitely have alot of experienced speculation and advice here, but when in doubt your best bet is to go to the camera store. I'm sure they would be happy to show you what, where and what have you about your lens and suggest some filters for you based on what type of photography you would like to do.

There are 2 types of polarizers. Circular and linear. You should find out which is required for your camera. The wrong type will not work correctly.

Most reactions

Back