Need help with continuous shooting...

GeorgiaOwl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My new D60 has a "continuous shooting" mode. I've set the selector to every possible setting....M, S, Auto...and I've made sure I had the CS mode on...

but when I depress the button to shoot, the camera takes 3 or 4 shots in a row and then stops! I've searched alot of forums, and I have an email in to Nikon support, but maybe it's just something stupid I'm doing - since I can't find anyone else having the problem.

Any ideas?

owl

Do you have auto exposure bracketing on?

Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG mode?

Are you shooting in RAW?
RAW files are larger and will fill up the camera buffer quicker than JPEGs so the camera will have to stop to save the files - but you should get more than 3 I think.
Out of intrest you have not slipped into exposure bracketing mode - that takes 3 shots and you should be seeing a differencein exposures ove the three shots.

My new D60 has a "continuous shooting" mode. I've set the selector to every possible setting....M, S, Auto...and I've made sure I had the CS mode on...

but when I depress the button to shoot, the camera takes 3 or 4 shots in a row and then stops! I've searched alot of forums, and I have an email in to Nikon support, but maybe it's just something stupid I'm doing - since I can't find anyone else having the problem.

That's a simple one: the buffer is full!
The buffer requires time to write your captured images to the card. During that time you cannot expose new images.

Have fun!

Any ideas?
owl

You should get six shots if shooting RAW and 100 shots for anything else provided that you're using a Panasonic Pro High Speed memory card. Refer to page 178 of your user manual.

For a complete list of Nikon-approved memory cards, refer to page 158.

Are you shooting in RAW?
RAW files are larger and will fill up the camera buffer quicker than JPEGs so the camera will have to stop to save the files - but you should get more than 3 I think.
Out of intrest you have not slipped into exposure bracketing mode - that takes 3 shots and you should be seeing a differencein exposures ove the three shots.
The D60 doesn't do automatic bracketing.

I'm not sure this model does the bracketing thing. If so, I can't find a setting for it.

I managed to find the buffer indicator in the viewfinder that shows how many shots you can shoot before memory runs out...it's always at FOUR.

4 shots?

Could it be that I need a faster memory card? I'm using a SD Ultra II 1.0 GB card.

It doesn't matter if I go to 400ISO or 100 or whatever - it still only reads that I can shoot 4 shots in a row before it stops for a memory catch-up.

thanks guys

owl

[edit] - just saw your replies Soc....thanks...
As for the buffer being full, I understand that, but when Nikon says you can take "100 continuous shots" and the thing stops at 4 ? I don't get it I guess....

/*scratches head

Are you shooting jpeg or raw. that makes a huge difference

I'm not sure this model does the bracketing thing. If so, I can't find a setting for it.

I managed to find the buffer indicator in the viewfinder that shows how many shots you can shoot before memory runs out...it's always at FOUR.

4 shots?

Could it be that I need a faster memory card? I'm using a SD Ultra II 1.0 GB card.

It doesn't matter if I go to 400ISO or 100 or whatever - it still only reads that I can shoot 4 shots in a row before it stops for a memory catch-up.

thanks guys

owl

[edit] - just saw your replies Soc....thanks...
As for the buffer being full, I understand that, but when Nikon says you can take "100 continuous shots" and the thing stops at 4 ? I don't get it I guess....

/*scratches head
SD is SanDisk and it should work.

The buffer indicator in the viewfinder is misleading. It is accurate regarding buffer capacity BUT don't forget that the buffer begins to drain the instant you take a shot. The figures in the user manual are correct with regard to the quantity of continuous shots. (I would expect that different brands would have slightly different results.) My D80 has the same issue with the viewfinder value.

By the way, don't release the shutter button if you detect a slight additional delay. If you're taking Large/Fine, the spacing between shots will not be consistent. Three or four might fire off rapidly and then maybe a half-second delay for the next one. This results from the buffer fill/drain characteristics. You'll have to experiment a bit.

Go to the Nikon web site and look for an "800" number to call to get a live person. I've called them several times.

Thanks. If i don't get an email reply, i'll call them.
You weren't using flash, were you? The flash recycle requirements makes continuous shooting almost impossible.

It's most likely your ACTIVE D-LIGHTING being ON. The in camera active d lighting is a resource hog (it's meant mostly for scenics.. not continuous).... try deactivating the ACTIVE D-LIGHTING and make sure your flash isn't active (for this you must shoot PROGRAM mode or better ... no AUTO modes)

Nope. no flash. turned ACtive D lighting on and off - no difference. Still only 4 photos at a time. I'll call Nikon if I have to. I'm not much of a phone person. :) I like email and message boards. LOL

thanks everyone. I appreciate the help.

i'll try making sure Active D is off and shoot in program.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back