Need help with fixing overexposed red/pink shirt in a portrait.

See how EASY it is to edit to correct a major image flaw from the .NEF file as compared to a JPEG image?

You got a lot of great help on this! :)

Thanks for editing. I think it's close. I feel the rest of the image is desaturated a little bit though. What did you do?

Sorry I had to go out. I only had time before to do quick run through to get the shirt. Never have seen the shirt so I'm still doing some guessing but I have an idea what's going on. Highly saturated red is a problem. It's not a problem for the sensor and I looked at your raw file just now and it's fine. Highly saturated red is a problem for a lot of processing software.

Sorry about my earlier assumption that you had been shooting JPEG, I missed a tag in your EXIF data.

So I just spent a little more time with the photo and came up with this:

red_shirt.jpg

You're using LR so I did also. I couldn't get LR to give me that shirt the way I wanted it. I had to settle for a little lighter and less saturated. The idea is to use the HSL panel and adjust the saturation and luminosity of the reds in the shirt. LR isn't discriminating enough and I had to settle for less but most importantly I made sure the reds were not clipped as I passed the photo to PS. Clipping is data loss and it's real hard to recover from data loss.

In PS it was easy enough to use Color Range to select the shirt, use the selection to create a mask, and apply a multiply blend between the background layer and a dupe layer -- adjust the layer opacity to taste. I'm guessing it was a very very red shirt. I run into the same problem all the time with my wife's roses.

I'm not a big fan of heavy skin smoothing but since you did some I went ahead and did some as well -- mostly to tone down the glare. I overdid it but it's late and it's been a long day and the shirt was the problem anyway so I'm calling it a night.

Joe

Thanks for editing. I think it's close. I feel the rest of the image is desaturated a little bit though. What did you do?

Sorry I had to go out. I only had time before to do quick run through to get the shirt. Never have seen the shirt so I'm still doing some guessing but I have an idea what's going on. Highly saturated red is a problem. It's not a problem for the sensor and I looked at your raw file just now and it's fine. Highly saturated red is a problem for a lot of processing software.

Sorry about my earlier assumption that you had been shooting JPEG, I missed a tag in your EXIF data.

View attachment 109701

You're using LR so I did also. I couldn't get LR to give me that shirt the way I wanted it. I had to settle for a little lighter and less saturated. The idea is to use the HSL panel and adjust the saturation and luminosity of the reds in the shirt. LR isn't discriminating enough and I had to settle for less but most importantly I made sure the reds were not clipped as I passed the photo to PS. Clipping is data loss and it's real hard to recover from data loss.

In PS it was easy enough to use Color Range to select the shirt, use the selection to create a mask, and apply a multiply blend between the background layer and a dupe layer -- adjust the layer opacity to taste. I'm guessing it was a very very red shirt. I run into the same problem all the time with my wife's roses.

I'm not a big fan of heavy skin smoothing but since you did some I went ahead and did some as well -- mostly to tone down the glare. I overdid it but it's late and it's been a long day and the shirt was the problem anyway so I'm calling it a night.

Joe
Thanks, Joe.

The shirt does look much more pleasing. Good job!
It's a learning experience for me. But for this phtoshoot, I have too many photos have this the shirt in them I will just leave them as they are. But good lessons learned from it.

Julian

@Derrel edit looks best here, but now she needs a bit more color in her face. Other than his, i still prefer the original over all the other edits.

red_shirt_c1.jpg

Joe
Thanks, Joe.

It's a learning experience for me. But for this phtoshoot, I have too many photos have this the shirt in them I will just leave them as they are. But good lessons learned from it.

Julian

This isn't going to help your immediate situation, but I think it's worth noting for general reference. Making that run out to Photoshop and back is a complication that very understandably is too much grief especially if you have a large number of photos to process. So it's an irritant that LR can't do better.

We live in an Adobe-centric world and if LR can't deliver then that pretty much settles that. So I popped that NEF over to Capture One which has much more sophisticated color control than LR and I was able to get this directly in C1 without the need to run over to PS and back:

red_shirt_c1.jpg

Not doing any more skin re-touch -- just a raw conversion for the basic tone and color and the shirt. Point being that C1 can handle the shirt without having to rely on PS.

Joe

Last edited:

Yes and I appreciate it.

I think this is a good example for people to realize they can easily overexpose red shirt and learn from my mistakes later during their shoot.

I am new to portrait work, and had not thought of this. So I enjoyed reading this, I learned a lot. :)

Yes and I appreciate it.

I think this is a good example for people to realize they can easily overexpose red shirt and learn from my mistakes later during their shoot.

You didn't overexpose the red shirt. In fact you could have benefited from another 1/2 stop of additional exposure. Your exposure was good to a little under.

Joe

View attachment 109781

Joe
Thanks, Joe.

Julian

This isn't going to help your immediate situation, but I think it's worth noting for general reference. Making that run out to Photoshop and back is a complication that very understandably is too much grief especially if you have a large number of photos to process. So it's an irritant that LR can't do better.

We live in an Adobe-centric world and if LR can't deliver then that pretty much settles that. So I popped that NEF over to Capture One which has much more sophisticated color control than LR and I was able to get this directly in C1 without the need to run over to PS and back:

View attachment 109781

Not doing any more skin re-touch -- just a raw conversion for the basic tone and color and the shirt. Point being that C1 can handle the shirt without having to rely on PS.

Joe

I like the red shirt in your version. Looks like Capture one is pretty good and I should give it a try.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back