Need help with lighting question

zapman29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am helping shoot a military event.. we are shooting portraits with strobe and continuous light kits. I have noticed that people with glasses get that glare in their glasses.. How do I stop that? Is just lighting position or what do I do to help eliminate that..

thanks

sometimes there is nothing you can do with the position of the lightings. You need to use photoshop and clone the reflection out. You can use image from the other glass/eye and mirror it. If you know how to use clone/healing brush, it is not hard.

Move the light to the side and shoot across.

It'll really cut down on the reflection, if not show any at all.

The angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. If the angle of the light to the glasses is the same as the angle from the glasses to the lens, then you'll likely end up with a big reflection.

Of course, glasses are often not quite flat, so the angles might be a bit wider.

You can try moving your lights or choose a pose that allows the subject to turn their head.

Another trick is to have them lift the arms of their glasses just slightly, so that the glasses are pointed down a little bit.

And of course, you could get a tiny screwdriver and take out the lenses...or just ask them to take the glasses off, but only if that works for them.

Like Mike said, it's all about the angles, just like shooting pool.

Actually the technical reference is 'family of angles', and is one of the basic precepts to learn about for photographic lighting.

Light: Science and Magic An Introduction To Photographic Lighting, by Fil Hunter.

I would first try to ask them if they wouldn't mind taking off their glasses - - and tell them the reason why. I was asked to (informally) shoot at a party two nights ago in a dimly lit room. Everyone I asked did take of their glasses - - problem solved.

Otherwise, it is about the angles as mentioned above.

Yeah, but would you shoot Bill Gates without his glasses? It wont be the same person.

Yeah, but would you shoot Bill Gates without his glasses? It wont be the same person.

Bill Gates ;)

Right. But if you can't control the angles then without glasses at least is better than glare all over the place, unless you're very good in PP taking care of it afterwards.. I've tried removing glass glare -- and it's not easy for me, anyway.

Mike is using the right approach in lifting the arms to tilt the glasses lens down slightly, cloning can be a nightmare and those reactolight type specs are horrendous, I've had the lens come out as bright green on the photos. A few spare specs frames without the glass is a good bet for anyone doing a lot of portraiture. H

Like Mike said, it's all about the angles, just like shooting pool.

Actually the technical reference is 'family of angles', and is one of the basic precepts to learn about for photographic lighting.

Light: Science and Magic An Introduction To Photographic Lighting, by Fil Hunter.

Excellent book!

Hahha.. sexy!
I just did a corporate shot. I put the flash on my camera. I had to clone out the reflection. The guy said he has 3 focal pt on his glasses... I keep seeing 2 reflection pt on his glasses.

I just did a corporate shot. I put the flash on my camera. I had to clone out the reflection.
I just did a corporate shot. I put the flash OFF my camera. I had to clone out NO reflection. :mrgreen:

I just think about billiard balls when setting up lighting if I'm about to shoot something that can bounce it, like glasses. Simply put, just make it bounce off them in any direction except toward the lens. It's not really that difficult to work out, especially with digital cameras that give you an instant preview to see if you need to rethink your bounce tactic to avoid glare.

If you can't get an assistant to help, get a light stand or two. They're cheap and they never get tired of holding lights, umbrellas or other diffusers, reflectors, scrims or anything else right where you want it, even way up high or way down low.

One day Buckster! :) Saving up money ... I will eventually do that.

I just did a corporate shot. I put the flash on my camera. I had to clone out the reflection.
I just did a corporate shot. I put the flash OFF my camera. I had to clone out NO reflection. :mrgreen:

I just think about billiard balls when setting up lighting if I'm about to shoot something that can bounce it, like glasses. Simply put, just make it bounce off them in any direction except toward the lens. It's not really that difficult to work out, especially with digital cameras that give you an instant preview to see if you need to rethink your bounce tactic to avoid glare.

If you can't get an assistant to help, get a light stand or two. They're cheap and they never get tired of holding lights, umbrellas or other diffusers, reflectors, scrims or anything else right where you want it, even way up high or way down low.

I get these a lot . I used to move my lights (mostly fill) up and aim down at the person. But that takes time . Now i just move their face away from the fill and have them move their chin a little down . There is a little glare still sometimes , but it will mostly be right on the rim .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back