Need help with on camera flash

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
So I have a canon 400d and a 380EX speedlight, which should work fine together, no?

I find that I can't seem to get any good photos with the flash though - if I use it on Av mode in lowish light it still chooses a long exposure time. It seems like it doesn't want to use enough flash power - it never flashes anywhere near as bright as if I push the test button on the speedlight. Am I missing something here?

Another part of the problem (though not the main part) is that it wont choose the right zoom level due to the crop body sensor - is this going to make a big difference?

I would switch it to manual and calc the flash power yourself by using the guide number.

380EX Doesn't have any manual settings, sadly.

Eh, it's because it's not a 580 or 430. Those have tilt-swivel heads and manual controls (the 580 being the best they have, is compatible with all the latest and greatest they have to offer, but I digress).

First, use manual in dim light. ETTL in concert with any of the automatic modes (in low light) just gets funky. Second, there should be a Flash Exposure Compensation setting in the camera's menus. That will let you use ETTL up to +/- 2 stops.

380EX Doesn't have any manual settings, sadly.

WHAT !!!! cannon should be banned

Heh, that statement of outrage combined with your avatar just cracked me up :lmao:

musicaleCA: Thanks for that advice. I would like to get a 580EXII but they are pretty costly. I am going to experiment a bit in manual mode to see if I can improve things a bit.

The 580's and 430's detect a crop body sensor and adjust zoom to suit, correct?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back