Need help with on camera flash

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
So I have a canon 400d and a 380EX speedlight, which should work fine together, no?

I find that I can't seem to get any good photos with the flash though - if I use it on Av mode in lowish light it still chooses a long exposure time. It seems like it doesn't want to use enough flash power - it never flashes anywhere near as bright as if I push the test button on the speedlight. Am I missing something here?

Another part of the problem (though not the main part) is that it wont choose the right zoom level due to the crop body sensor - is this going to make a big difference?

JamesMason

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would switch it to manual and calc the flash power yourself by using the guide number.

OP
fokker

fokker

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
380EX Doesn't have any manual settings, sadly.

musicaleCA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Eh, it's because it's not a 580 or 430. Those have tilt-swivel heads and manual controls (the 580 being the best they have, is compatible with all the latest and greatest they have to offer, but I digress).

First, use manual in dim light. ETTL in concert with any of the automatic modes (in low light) just gets funky. Second, there should be a Flash Exposure Compensation setting in the camera's menus. That will let you use ETTL up to +/- 2 stops.

OP
fokker

fokker

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
380EX Doesn't have any manual settings, sadly.

WHAT !!!! cannon should be banned

Heh, that statement of outrage combined with your avatar just cracked me up :lmao:

musicaleCA: Thanks for that advice. I would like to get a 580EXII but they are pretty costly. I am going to experiment a bit in manual mode to see if I can improve things a bit.

The 580's and 430's detect a crop body sensor and adjust zoom to suit, correct?

Most reactions

ClickASnap