Need help with party photos

jan211

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I need help deciding which one lens to use to take pics at a party. Its a surprise party being held at a "lounge". I've never seen this lounge and I'm picturing something small and dimly lit. Basically they need someone with a camera and I need the practice. I'll be using only manual settings since my sole reason for being there is for the practice. I have the kit lens (18-55), a 40 pancake lens that I've not used as of yet, a 50 and an 85. I was thinking of using the 50. ALso I dont know if I need the speedlite or not and if so would the bounce card or the softbox that fits on the speed lite be a better choice? Thanks

Well you did not say exactly what lenses you have so nobody here can really now how well the ones you have may perform.

However you will be in low light conditions so I would recommend taking the lens that has the largest aperture to thus allow you to use faster shutter speed.

Oh. Sorry. The 50 mm is a 1.8, the 40 mm is a 2.8 and the 85mm is a 1.8. SO I guess it's between the 50 mm and the 85 mm?

Are you on a crop sensor? If its a small venue the 85 is likely too tight with lots of people. For that matter the 50 may be also.

Do you have the ability to use off camera flash?

If you do I would go with the 18-55 and use it with a flash.

If not you would have to go with the 40 or the 50, but both of these are still pretty tight for shooting in that kind of environment.

I have the speed lite but I wont be able to use it off camera. I have a bounce card and that mini softbox that fits on the lite. Will I not need the flash if I use the 40 or 50? Or would I only use the 18-55 if I was able to use an off camera flash?

Even the fastest lens in the world won't be enough for even the brightest of clubs.

Bring a flash, Bounce it off low ceilings or nearby walls.

40mm would be my recommendation. I only have the 50mm prime but I get goosebumps just thinking about shooting a party with that.

The wider the angle (shorter focal length) the better for party shots. Super wide angles can produce cool and funny looking pictures.

It also makes the viewer feel like being right there when using short focal lengths. You have to stand like 10 feet away to get a couple people in the shot - that's not very party like IMO.

Since you are there for practice just run with it. Take as much as possible. Play around w iso so you can build on the experience. You will need the flash.
I have the 7D and it's going to be tight w anything but the kit lens.

Ok. I think I'll take alittle from all the great advice. I'm going to take the kit lens, the 40 mm and a flash. Thank you everyone! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Use the speedlite and "drag" the shutter. e.g. set a much slower shutter speed than you might think... instead of using 1/200th... use something like 1/30th to 1/60th. The flash will actually "freeze" your subjects and the ambient light from the back of the room will fill in the background as long as the shutter is slow.

Use the speedlite and "drag" the shutter. e.g. set a much slower shutter speed than you might think... instead of using 1/200th... use something like 1/30th to 1/60th. The flash will actually "freeze" your subjects and the ambient light from the back of the room will fill in the background as long as the shutter is slow.

Best advice thus far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back