Need help

KNippert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG
I want to do a family picture that shows my true life with 4 kids. I want to do them at night at the place I got married at, its a fountain that changes different colors, how would I make sure the subjects (My husband, the kids & I) are lit enough to be able to see us but not block out the pretty colors from the fountain. I didn't use flash for the pictures I took last night.

You will NEED to use flash. It's not optional for this sort of thing.

Ordinarily I'd say if the camera is on a tripod and the subject isn't moving, you can leave a shutter open as long as you like. But in this situation the camera will keep collecting light from the sources that are lit (the water and those columns) much faster than the subjects that are not lit (you and your family) and before it has enough light on you and your family, the other elements will be badly over-exposed.

SO.... setup the camera to take the long exposure of the fountain... but fire the flash for a quick burst of light on you and your family. That momentary burst of light on you will be enough to adequately expose you (and even if someone moves when the flash isn't illuminating you the camera won't catch it) and the camera lens can continue to take the longer exposure of the background.

The result should get you what you want.

I will try that! Thank you!

You will NEED to use flash. It's not optional for this sort of thing.

Ordinarily I'd say if the camera is on a tripod and the subject isn't moving, you can leave a shutter open as long as you like. But in this situation the camera will keep collecting light from the sources that are lit (the water and those columns) much faster than the subjects that are not lit (you and your family) and before it has enough light on you and your family, the other elements will be badly over-exposed.

SO.... setup the camera to take the long exposure of the fountain... but fire the flash for a quick burst of light on you and your family. That momentary burst of light on you will be enough to adequately expose you (and even if someone moves when the flash isn't illuminating you the camera won't catch it) and the camera lens can continue to take the longer exposure of the background.

The result should get you what you want.

Yup. Expose the photo for the fountain and use flash for the subject. I did some family photos in the past with similar technique. Long exposure with my daughter paint with light and then have her stand still for the off camera flash.

The timed exposure will be handled by the lens f/stop in use, and the ISO level set, and the length of time the shutter is allowed to remain open. The FLASH part, to light you and the family, will be based on the aperture, and the ISO, and how far away the flash is at X power level. So....take a look at the flash's power/output information, and figure out how many feet away the flash needs to be at the f/stop you use for the timed exposure...

You can fire the flash with it on the camera, or with an assistant holding the flash off-camera and manually pressing the flash's "test" button. The exposures you made last night look pretty good overall.

Let's say I wanted the kids to have glow sticks to run around and my husband and I to stand still. exposure like I did last night with flash will work for it correct?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back