Need input on portable power banks

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.digitaldistrictphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need something that's ~10,000mAh and will hold a charge for 4 days without losing much juice.

Climbing Kilimanjaro in February and need something to charge my camera, GoPro, and cellphone. I'll need probably two units, each around 10,000mAh. Preferably waterproof and even more preferable if it could have a solar panel that actually works!

Forgot to mention I'll be carrying this in my pack so weight/size is also important.

Any input appreciated
thumbsup.gif

That sounds kind of like a unicorn to me, although this looks close: GOALZERO

I have a couple of different RAVPower portable chargers that I picked up on Amazon - they have many different capacities up to about 26000 mAh - but there is no solar charger. They have no problem holding a charge for several days. Not sure if that would meet your needs or not.

Edit - I just went to the RAVPower web site and they do have solar chargers.

Best wireless chargers, car chargers, travel charger, USB charger, solar charger and wall chargers

Thanks for the input all - I had to shift gears a little since all of the solar solutions seem very unlikely to deliver the output I'll need on this trip.

I also couldn't find any from Anker that were waterproof so had to look elsewhere, ended up grabbing this one from Amazon. 20000mAh and waterproof, we'll see how it holds up.

Also got this little Anker unit as a backup for the Mrs. to carry.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Anker makes some really great stuff, and most come with an 18 month warranty. I have quite a few of their AC and DC chargers, cables, and own several 26,800 mAh portable chargers.

http://a.co/3OlSfEl

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, forget the solar panels. I looked into them. They're lightweight, but the technology just isn't there yet.

I was going to second the Anker power banks. I have two of those small ones. They'll charge my cell twice. Abuse them actually. Had them almost 2 years. They get thrown into whatever pack I'm taking, sometimes not charged in months. Never failed me when I needed them.

looks like you found some that'll work out for you.

Last edited:
I just picked up a insignia 15600mh pack from Best Buy last week. They are on close out for $20. I have been putting it through its paces charging everything in site and so far no issues. Might buy a few and give them some extensive texting before taking them. I might buy another one to use incase of emergency.

This might be out of left field - but maybe look into a multi-function car jump starter power pack

I have this one (Australian):
Kincrome - POWER PAK™ Plus Multi-Function Jump Starter Lithium-Ion | Electrical (41) - Kincrome Australia Pty Ltd
"A great feature of the POWER PAK™ PLUS Multi-Function Jump Starter is it also includes various outputs to recharge a range of electronic devices including mobile phones, Tablets, PC computer, PSP, MP3/MP4,12V Air Pump and includes a high intensity LED light to see under the bonnet or strobe and SOS feature for the unexpected emergency."
"66.6 Wh (3 X 6,100mAh Lithium Ion Battery Cells)"

Personally I would leave the cell phone in the hotel as cell coverage is very spotty and limited on Kilimanjaro. The guides should have a Sat phone with them for emergency usage. Tell family and friends that no news is good news.

As for the go Pro and camera the recommended camera is a very small lightweight point-and-shoot. Save the DSLR for Safari and other sightseeing. You would be better served to carry enough small light batteries for those two devices then to carry some kind of a charging system. Weight is everything when doing a climb like this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back