Need Lens Advice...

Copacetic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I called my local (well, the only one within an hours' drive) camera shop to see if they had any used lenses in, and it turns out they have a mint condition Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, one of the OLD ones, before the AI designation apparently. Manual focus, of course, and circa 1965 or so. Quite heavy as well, according to the owner. He is going to look it over good and put it back for me. He's asking $60 for it.

If it is indeed in mint condition, is that a good price? As I understand it, the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 lenses usually go for quite a bit more, even used. However, this seems to be one of the first of the line. I'd be using it with my D40 for portraits, and yes I know that metering would not work with it. Does anyone know anything about the quality of this particular lens?

I'm going to call him back tomorrow and let him know whether I want it or not, and possibly make the hour drive to town Thursday if so. Fast responses would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

The quality of that lens is excellent, however even at $60 (a very good price) I think it might be kind of limiting to be stuck with a pre-AI lens. Unless you really need this particular lens, I think it might be better just to keep looking until something a little more suitable comes along... Just my $00.02 worth...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back