Need Master Flash

g2k556

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So recently our main photographer here at work got let go. Along with him leaving, went our photography equipment minus our umbrellas. So I volunteered to bring my camera stuff in, however, my flash unit doesn't have mastering capability to trigger our umbrellas. my employer will be purchasing whatever it is I need to do this. I have a Canon Rebel XT, so my question is, should I get a hotshoe flash with mastering on it, or is there a better alternative. Thanks for any advice or suggestions in advance.

Gavin

Well, if you get a 580ex2 then you'll have a good portable flash head for when you're not at work. . . . .;)

Umbrellas are just light modifiers, they don't get 'triggered'.

What type of light do you have in the umbrellas?

When talking Canon, 'Master' refers to either the 580EX or the ST-E2, which are wireless Master units in Canon's own wireless system. So unless your lights are other Canon 'slave' flashes, you don't need a Canon 'Master' unit.

If you have studio style strobe units, then they are probably triggered optically...meaning that they fire when another flash goes off. This probably doesn't work with your camera, because your built-in flash uses a pre-flash, which triggers the strobes too early.
If you get a flash unit that can be set to 'manual' power, then it should work. Or better yet, just get a radio trigger system.

Thanks Mike, they are triggered optically, just went and did a quick test. I'm not too familiar with studio flashes, so I was unaware. but I have a Canon 430ex flash, so that should do. thanks again, Gavin.

Most reactions

Back