Need more light-- PLEASE HELP!

cmsmitty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok- I am fairly new to photography so I'd love some advice.

I have a backdrop (white muslin), a Nikon D60 and 2 umbrella lights (silver lining) for inside baby/kid photo sessions (just for fun/not a business)....and I cannot seem to get enough light in my picture. When I use my speedlight flash my pictures get washed out. Any suggestions on what kind of lighting I can add to improve the brightness of my shots???

THANKS!
:D

Post some examples of the photos in question and we'll be able to give you an idea of what to do. There is a whole variety of issues that could be occurring to cause problems.

Matt

Hoping this works:
DSC_0024.jpg

I think your problem is with metering. The white backdrop is likely causing your shots to be underexposed. The camera doesn't know if it's shooting white...all it sees is that part of the image is more reflective than average so it gives you a lower exposure than you want. What you need to do, is to 'out smart' the camera's meter and add some exposure back in. Or just find another way to meter the lighting.

You can use EC (exposure compensation) to increase the exposure. Or you could switch the camera into manual mode and find the exposure that works best for you. This might be a good idea because the lighting won't change as long as you don't move the lights.

Another method would be to get a 'grey card' and use that to take a meter reading. Or failing that, just zoom in (get close) to your subject and fill the frame with something that is closer to 'mid tone/middle grey'. Lock those settings into your camera, then back up and take your shot...it should be exposed properly (or closer to it) for the subject.

Also, another issue may be your lighting. If you are trying to get a nice white background, you will probably need to put more light on the background, than on your subject. This would mean getting a separate light that shines only on the background and not on the subject.

Doesn't look washed out. The colors like a little flat. How do you have your lights set up? And what kind of lights are they?

I didn't use my speed light on this one- So this looks dark to me (when I use the speed light and the white backdrop they get washed out). I have one umbrella to the left at a 45 degree angle towards her and another to the right at a 45 degree angle. I also have light in the room (windows and room lights).

How about putting one light 45 to the baby, and tossing the other light on to the muslin backdrop. I'm not sure how the menu setup works on a D60, but you should be able to control the light getting on the backdrop and on the baby so its not the same. Also, I might try bringing in the "baby light" a little closer to the baby.

How are you syncing the lights with the D60? The D60 doesn't have CLS. Which speedlight do you have?

Another method might be to use an optical trigger on a flash mounted low and behind the subject directing the flash up on the backdrop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back