Need new camera

Aetos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's the story: I've been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ5 for the past year and a bit, but now it's broken and no longer covered under warrenty. To fix it would cost almost as much as buying a new camera, so I've decided not to follow that path. I'm thinking of buying a DSLR to replace it, but I've a few issues...

1. I already have some Canon EF lenses
2. I use SD cards, which Canon DSLRs don't support but Nikon ones do
3. I'm still in highschool, so safety and rough usage may be an issue

I know that lenses will cost me more in the long run than memory cards, but still. I have a pretty tight budget, so I'll only be able to afford the cheapest cameras. Or I could get another Lumix, only I would eventually have to buy a DSLR anyway. I was planning on getting one after graduating, before this came up.
Any suggestions?

Look for a new or used Canon Rebel XT...or possibly a used Canon Rebel (300D)

Here's the story: I've been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ5 for the past year and a bit, but now it's broken and no longer covered under warrenty. To fix it would cost almost as much as buying a new camera, so I've decided not to follow that path. I'm thinking of buying a DSLR to replace it, but I've a few issues...

2. I use SD cards, which Canon DSLRs don't support but Nikon ones do
3. I'm still in highschool, so safety and rough usage may be an issue

I know that lenses will cost me more in the long run than memory cards, but still. I have a pretty tight budget, so I'll only be able to afford the cheapest cameras. Or I could get another Lumix, only I would eventually have to buy a DSLR anyway. I was planning on getting one after graduating, before this came up.
Any suggestions?

First I must say that I am biased in this, as I am a Canon shooter. But with what you have said here is what I would look at.

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 (Cheapest EF Lens in Canons Line) $69.95
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Sandisk 2GB Ultra II CompactFlash Card (Decent storage space) $ 34.95[/FONT]

DSLR's are a system. You don't state what EF lenses you have, but with a decent body like and XT or XTi you have a good start. As you get older, graduate, began to make more money you can always add a new body to the lenses you have and even add to your collection of lenses. Camera bodies get replaced, but if you take care of good glass you can use it a lifetime.

Remember though as I said, I am a Canon DSLR shooter. I am biased that way.

Look for a new or used Canon Rebel XT...or possibly a used Canon Rebel (300D)
+1

The original Digital Rebels are probably going for a song on ebay, as people trade up for the new ones. Sell off the SD memory on ebay to help pay for the CF memory that the Canons use.

+1

The original Digital Rebels are probably going for a song on ebay, as people trade up for the new ones. Sell off the SD memory on ebay to help pay for the CF memory that the Canons use.

Problem is, I don't have access to a credit card or anything that would let me buy/sell on eBay. There are stores here, however, that allow you to sell/buy used lenses and bodies. I'm not sure about memory cards.

First I must say that I am biased in this, as I am a Canon shooter. But with what you have said here is what I would look at.

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 (Cheapest EF Lens in Canons Line) $69.95
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Sandisk 2GB Ultra II CompactFlash Card (Decent storage space) $ 34.95[/FONT]

DSLR's are a system. You don't state what EF lenses you have, but with a decent body like and XT or XTi you have a good start. As you get older, graduate, began to make more money you can always add a new body to the lenses you have and even add to your collection of lenses. Camera bodies get replaced, but if you take care of good glass you can use it a lifetime.

Remember though as I said, I am a Canon DSLR shooter. I am biased that way.

My only good lenses is a 85mm f/1.8 USM. (I also have th kit lens for a Rebel K2.)

Most sellers will accept a US Post Office money order. They're safe and easy to get. Many sellers prefer PayPal, but will accept real money orders if you ask them personally. Money orders, the seller has to wait for them to clear, to make sure they're legit, but the seller doesn't get bitten by the ever-increasing PayPal fees.

FWIW, I recommended the Canon even though I'm not a Canon shooter. Well, I guess I am, if you count my SD600 Elph... ;)

IMO if you have an 85 1.8 then you shouldn't spend the money on a 50 1.8 quite yet, unless you know you'll use that focal length.

a used canon 20d would be my suggestion...but it depends on your budget. just start with the kit lens and the 85 1.8, building your collection of equipment as you go. the rebel xti would be my next recommendation, followed by the xt. but that's just for canon. nikon has the d80, d70s, or d50 to choose from...all of which are great starter cameras that will guide you until you decide to get something more expensive. THIS is why you're going to want to stray towards using CF cards. SD cards aren't nearly as widely accepted in higher end cameras, and the size limit of SD cards on cameras is usually lower than CF cards. just a thought.

I have the 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8. Shoots very differently. I second the 20D. There are still quite a few new 20Ds still roaming the store shelves. Great camera and the price drop since 30D was released will work in your favor.

Most reactions

Back