Need opinion from filter expert please... Secret images?

Way2Naive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My soon to be Ex-boyfriend found rocks he believed to be paleoindian ancient rocks. A lot of them. He wanted pics of them, so we both took pics and uploaded them to Flickr.

Here is the link:
JP and Jen Downs

Problem? I need a second opinion... I told my boyfriend these pics are NOT the pics I took. They look "altered"!

He said I'm crazy because I think another image has been added and blended in the pics.

I have tried edit software android apps, and can catch a glympse of the Secret images, but I'm not an expert.

To me, they seem perverted? Am I crazy and seeing things, or can anyone try and download a few and unscramble the images?

Any help?

Hes soon my ex, he is mean and súper secretive... I just dont trust him anymore.

A couple of points:

1) Someone downloading pictures from your Flickr feed will not likely yield any meaningful conclusions. There's nothing to compare it to.

2) It's really not the business of a photography forum to take sides in your relationship and help you gather whatever evidence you think you may have against your ex.

I looked at a few pics. I see some blurring from slow shutter speeds and/or camera shake, and _possibly_ a few pictures that have slow shutter speed+flash, which can create a secondary or so-calld "ghost image", where the flash pop, and the slow shutter speed's exposure of the daylight that was present, combine to create a secondary image called a "ghost image", which is very subtly present in the image. I did not examine the EXIF data on any shots, just looked at the photos, and I agree--these do look like ancient, human-used tools!

Yes you are seeing things. ;);););)

We all see things, and we all see them with our own bias and prejudice. The problem is that we start with a conclusion then glance at things with the sole purpose of validating that. These are iPhone shots, there is nothing sophisticated happening with them that's not in your own bias. What you thought you saw is the product of you glancing and jumping to conclusions and what you think you see now is the product of you glancing and coming to the conclusion that suits your own bias. I can't put it more simply.

Welcome to the world of images, this is how vision really works. ;);););)

Honestly, they will look different to your memory of what you thought you saw just as with your *soon-to-be-ex* (I hope he's not a member here and finds out the hard way ;);););)) sees them as absolutely honest representations of what they are when he glances at the images with his bias.

They have coins and hands beside them so you have *real* objects by which to compare colours and sizes.

Pretty good shots for an iPhone though... ;);););) :D:D

ex-1.jpg

I see a bunch of rocks that look like the 893 trevigintillion other rocks that make up our planet's surface.

I see a bunch of rocks that look like the 893 trevigintillion other rocks that make up our planet's surface.

You obviously must not recognize pestles,scrapers, hand axes, and spear and or projectile points from ancient times...

Paleo Tools

The above is a hand axe...an early tool that was a critical tool of ancient times...

And these triangular 'thingies'...I suppose you think these are just random rocks?

Paleo Artifacts by JP Downs

Uh...no...these are not just "rocks"...these are "points".

I just figured this whole thing was spam.

You obviously must not recognize pestles,scrapers, hand axes, and spear and or projectile points from ancient times...

Paleo Tools

The above is a hand axe...an early tool that was a critical tool of ancient times...

And these triangular 'thingies'...I suppose you think these are just random rocks?

Paleo Artifacts by JP Downs

Uh...no...these are not just "rocks"...these are "points".

I did not see anything that looked like it was either fashioned into a tool or even used as a tool. What I DO see is a bunch of rocks that COULD be used as tools.

Hell, I've got a bunch of rocks out back of the house that I could call 'hammer', 'stake driver', and 'blunt instrument'. But of course, you're the expert on the subject here.

We've uncovered numerous early american Indian artifacts in and around our farm in SE Missouri over the years, possibly because of it's proximity to the Mississippi River. There's a rich history throughout the region of primitives dating back 11,000 to 12,000 years ago. From the Paleo, the Archaic, the Woodland, the Hopewell, and the Mississippian, they all left signs of their existence. Later came the Creek, Chickasaw, and Osage. The finds are varied from extremely primitive to quite refined. Just my two cents worth but lacking signs of tool marks or other indication of human markings, and without other archaeological data of prehistoric civilization to collaborate, they are just rocks and no way to prove otherwise.

I did not see anything that looked like it was either fashioned into a tool or even used as a tool. What I DO see is a bunch of rocks that COULD be used as tools.
@ Way2Naive; I think you should keep on doing research on these items.

Most of the igneous rock that prehistoric people used for tools was obsidian, which can be chipped to a sharp edge, but these rocks appear to be some kind of granite, and will not serve the maker well for very long due to the propensity to keep flaking off in unpredictable ways. Even striking tools would not normally be made of decomposed granite, which is what these rocks appear to be.

The best type of rock for making tools can be shaped for the purpose by using a consistent and somewhat predictable way of breaking/flaking. Flint is a sedimentary rock and is not usually associated with granite deposits.

Good luck, and have fun with it.

@ Way2Naive; I think you should keep on doing research on these items.

Most of the igneous rock that prehistoric people used for tools was obsidian, which can be chipped to a sharp edge, but these rocks appear to be some kind of granite, and will not serve the maker well for very long due to the propensity to keep flaking off in unpredictable ways. Even striking tools would not normally be made of decomposed granite, which is what these rocks appear to be.

The best type of rock for making tools can be shaped for the purpose by using a consistent and somewhat predictable way of breaking/flaking. Flint is a sedimentary rock and is not usually associated with granite deposits.

Good luck, and have fun with it.

I will repeat it since you missed it: I didn't see much of anything there that looks like it had been actually worked on by an intelligent being to be made into a tool. I just saw a bunch of rocks that could be used as some sort of tool, either as-is or by working on them. Just because it COULD be a tool doesn't mean it IS. Otherwise, 99% of the rocks in my back yard are tools.

Even if they were tools, who cares?

I will repeat it since you missed it: I didn't see much of anything there that looks like it had been actually worked on by an intelligent being to be made into a tool. I just saw a bunch of rocks that could be used as some sort of tool, either as-is or by working on them. Just because it COULD be a tool doesn't mean it IS. Otherwise, 99% of the rocks in my back yard are tools.
I didn't miss what you wrote. That is why I think these treasure hunters need to do more research.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back