Need Photoshop help!!

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright i was wondering if anybody can help me with this problem.. whenever i open a RAW file in photoshop i get this:
WTF-2.jpg

Notice all the red? It's only in spots of pure white.. and only in the pre-photoshop screen. Once i open them it goes to this:
WTF-1.jpg

not really a major issue.. but it's bugging me.. and this is the first time it has happened..

Those are just "blinkies", you can turn them off. It shows you all of the blown out areas of the photo (areas with absolutely ZERO detail left.)

At the top of the histogram there are 2 arrows. Those should toggle the areas that are too bright and too dark.

While you can just turn off the warnings, its usually better to make adjustments to correct the problem in the image. Adjusting the Exposure and/or Recovery sliders untill they disappear or at least just become very small usually results in a better result, one that retains detail in the highlights instead of large blank areas.

Ah!! Thanks guys i thought it was something else besides a warning.
I will try and see what i can do with the image to make it look better.

Try the recovery slider before the exposure slider. If its just a bit of white you can usually pull the recovery and get it back without effecting the entire photo

What it means (as it was said above) is that that area has been blown out and is pure white. No amount of recovery can bring it back as there's nothing to bring back. Only way to fix it is to retake the picture.

The "blinkies" as someone called it, is where the image is "clipping". That's a digital term refering to a value exceeding the limit. The red shows over-exposed areas, the blue would show the under-exposed ones.

Slide the sliders until the image is clipping less, but aware that RAW cannot fix it completely. If it's over-exposed there's only so much you can. Even better, hold down CTRL while sliding the Exposure and Blacks sliders. All you will see are the clipped areas. Try to keep that to sensible minimum.

If you can, sign up for a course. Photoshop and RAW are really useful tools, but they can do so much that it's unfair to suggest you RTFM. It took me several classes to get to a point where I really control my final image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back