Need pictures for my website.

You may have stumbled into a bit of a hornet's nest. The combination of (1) this being your first post, (2) you asking for work for free, and (3) the rather vague description of your project is going to set off a lot of alarm bells.

If your project is legitimate, perhaps you could share a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish. If it's a worthwhile need, you'll probably find some interest.

Otherwise, this comes off a bit like you flipping open the yellow pages (it's a metaphor -- remember the yellow pages??) to the plumbing section and cold calling plumbers asking them to fix your toilet for free in return for a sticker on the bowl. Of course, this being the Internet, the random forum post is slightly less personal than an actual cold call.

Ok, but may I point out that had he offered to place a sticker on his toliet bowl that I might have jumped at that, whereas a no follow link from a completely unknown website that will most likely generate at best one click over the next year? Eh, not so much.

But I'm not asking work for free, I'm promoting the photographer name in the exchange for his picture.

YES you are asking something for free. The vary least you can do is put something under each photo saying something like "To see more work by this photographer click here" and then have that link go to the photographers website, but you say you will not do links.

In my opinion is not for free. There is a demand and a offer. Nobody should feel harmed by my post.

Ok, no problem.. lets start with a counter proposal. Without a definate contract or time frame when you intend to take my photos down I think I can safely assume you wish to license them for use in perpetuity.. or in laymen's terms forever. As such I'll need $5000 cash for each image. Now before you start squaking sit down and do the math - it would normally take at least 50 years after the date on which the image was taken for any copyrights associated with it to expire, and when you work that out it's only costing you 27 cents per day. You can't even feed one of those pasty faced waif's Sally Struthers drags in front of a TV camera for that kind of money, so dirt cheap really.

If you expect yours to be the only website out there that is using that exact same photo then you can triple that to $15,000 for exclusive rights. Still less than a dollar a day and you get exclusive rights to the photo. Now, since you also be making a profit from google ads when people visit the site, we'll need to talk about residuals. I mean after all if your using my photography to generate a revenue stream I should be getting a percentage.

That I think is probably the most reasonable counter offer your going to get, and I'm only willing to be that generous because I don't make a living as a photographer, I'm just an amatuer shutterbug.

You may have stumbled into a bit of a hornet's nest. The combination of (1) this being your first post, (2) you asking for work for free, and (3) the rather vague description of your project is going to set off a lot of alarm bells.

If your project is legitimate, perhaps you could share a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish. If it's a worthwhile need, you'll probably find some interest.

Otherwise, this comes off a bit like you flipping open the yellow pages (it's a metaphor -- remember the yellow pages??) to the plumbing section and cold calling plumbers asking them to fix your toilet for free in return for a sticker on the bowl. Of course, this being the Internet, the random forum post is slightly less personal than an actual cold call.

Ok, but may I point out that had he offered to place a sticker on his toliet bowl that I might have jumped at that, whereas a no follow link from a completely unknown website that will most likely generate at best one click over the next year? Eh, not so much.

Ah, so you're suggesting that if someone were to be interested in free photos in return for "exposure", it might be helpful to detail the size and nature of that "exposure" so that the photographer could make a judgement about whether it seems like a worthwhile endeavor? Makes sense to me.

You did catch the "no follow" link, statement, right? You wouldn't even get the benefit of the link for SEO purposes.

OP: I'm going to start a website illustrating various types of currency. Could you please send me USD$100 equivalent in bank notes so that I may use them to illustrate my 'site? I will put your name as the donor under each example.

Maybe I should be pointing that I'm addressing to "small" photographers only, not to the famous ones because there is a non-budget project. Somebody said that is not only about the money, I could change the no follow for do follow link, but including these, nobody made me an offer. Anyway ... I love the critics, I always learn something of them.

OP: I'm going to start a website illustrating various types of currency. Could you please send me USD$100 equivalent in bank notes so that I may use them to illustrate my 'site? I will put your name as the donor under each example.
If you need a photo of $100 and I have it and you include the photo source, yes! why not ?

Dear phobiaof; What's in it for me?

Hi to all,

I'm working on a website project that require some photos and the main problem is that there is no budget. It is a very interested website and the pictures are needed to be published only, so no commercial rights will be needed.
The photographers that would want to cooperate will get a no follow link behind each photo in exchange.

Thank you!

What kind of photos are you looking for? PM me, I am willing to help.

The Terms on the website refer to 'we' and 'us' but I see no information about who owns the site - no organization, no names, no location or address, no given status if it's a nonprofit, etc.

The Terms include this statement - "This website contains material which is owned or licensed to us." If photos would be licensed for use I think photographers would expect to have a contract that specifies usage and would expect to receive payment. The Privacy Policy makes reference to advertisers and promotional partners so that seems to indicate that the site is using ads from which it could be profiting financially.

It also says that "Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of Netherlands." That at least gave me a general location... But I don't think that would tell photographers in the US what might apply to usage, copyright, etc. related to any of their photos potentially being used.

My fist contribution to your site: octophobia

2584114802_7c22f166ee.jpg

The Terms on the website refer to 'we' and 'us' but I see no information about who owns the site - no organization, no names, no location or address, no given status if it's a nonprofit, etc.

The Terms include this statement - "This website contains material which is owned or licensed to us." If photos would be licensed for use I think photographers would expect to have a contract that specifies usage and would expect to receive payment. The Privacy Policy makes reference to advertisers and promotional partners so that seems to indicate that the site is using ads from which it could be profiting financially.

It also says that "Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of Netherlands." That at least gave me a general location... But I don't think that would tell photographers in the US what might apply to usage, copyright, etc. related to any of their photos potentially being used.

The website is still under construction. So don't be confused about the "terms", "about" or "privacy policy" text. Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back