Need Portrait Photography Help

jjphotos

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well this is one of the first times I've tried this and need some general critique and tips.
Do I need to aim closer to the head area for this to be considered a portrait? I don't think I got the face in focus either and I think most people prefer for the model to have the eyes open, but I thought this was rather nice.
Thanks in advance!
6_zps1gxq1k1i.jpg

Here's the colour version for reference.
4jpg_zpsuzfwzc4p.jpg

Last edited:
Overall it is nice. I wouldn't be bummed out about it. I like the symmetry of the picture. The B/W is good. You are focused on the brim or hat, so the face isn't crisp... It has a "Smart blur" "Yeah, that's the ticket..." The lighting is good and the mood of the image says "Remembrances" which is conducive to eyes closed...

Do I need to aim closer to the head area for this to be considered a portrait? I don't think I got the face in focus either and I think most people prefer for the model to have the eyes open, but I thought this was rather nice.
No you don't need to "aim closer to the head area". I think this crop is nice, especially if you wish to include the model's attire.

This would have been much better if we could see the model's eyes and if they were open. Even better if the model was looking sideways at the camera.

You should focus on the model's eyes, one more reason they should be open.

Meter the light on the shade (near) side of the model. The shadow areas have no detail.

Overall it is nice. I wouldn't be bummed out about it. I like the symmetry of the picture. The B/W is good. You are focused on the brim or hat, so the face isn't crisp... It has a "Smart blur" "Yeah, that's the ticket..." The lighting is good and the mood of the image says "Remembrances" which is conducive to eyes closed...

Thanks for the feedback! :)
No you don't need to "aim closer to the head area". I think this crop is nice, especially if you wish to include the model's attire.

This would have been much better if we could see the model's eyes and if they were open. Even better if the model was looking sideways at the camera.

You should focus on the model's eyes, one more reason they should be open.

Meter the light on the shade (near) side of the model. The shadow areas have no detail.

Yeah I see what you mean. Thanks for the critique!

I think it's a nice photo. I love the delicate rim lighting on her face and hand. This photo is evocative. The closed eyes make total sense to me. The craggy peaks in the background are really nice. This might be good in color. It's a nice flare-type picture.

I think it's a nice photo. I love the delicate rim lighting on her face and hand. This photo is evocative. The closed eyes make total sense to me. The craggy peaks in the background are really nice. This might be good in color. It's a nice flare-type picture.
Thanks Derrel! I'll let you take a look at the colour one, but I think the reason I converted it was because the facial area felt "flat" in terms of texture/colour if that makes sense. I'm not sure how to correct in PP. I tried fiddling around with the contrast and curves, but nothing really helped.
4jpg_zpsuzfwzc4p.jpg

I agree, way better in color! Love the overall vibe, keep it in color!

Most reactions

Back