Need quick answer

Flare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just a quick question. Is using a lens hood in a indoor low light situation appropriate? Will the lens gather more light without it. Does it matter? I have my first indoor shoot Saturday night so I would like to not use a flash if I can. Feeling a bit unsettled. Thanks.

Hoods are use to block light coming from outside of the lenses field of view from hitting the front lens element ... to reduce flare.

Thanks Mully, confidence level rising.

Hoods are use to block light coming from outside of the lenses field of view from hitting the front lens element ... to reduce flare.

Thanks DXqcanada I'll have to remember that.

Indoors the only disadvantage to using a lens hood is that it on some lenses it can cast an unwanted shadow at the bottom of an image from the pop up flash unit, or even a hot shoe flash unit if the lens is long enough.

Indoors the only disadvantage to using a lens hood is that it on some lenses it can cast an unwanted shadow at the bottom of an image from the pop up flash unit, or even a hot shoe flash unit if the lens is long enough.

Yes I had that problem with the hot shoe flash but I have that worked out if I use it. Thanks.

^
|
|
That!

I've had more lens flare issues shooting indoors without a flash than outdoors. The problem, in a nutshell, is a bright light 'off to the side' somewhere (usually outside the field of view of the camera and lens) that hits the lens at such an angle as to cause a lens flare. So I started using my lens hoods indoors too, which cured 95% of my lens flare issues indoors. But then, just before Christmas at a big band performance on stage, the small lights on each of their music stands caused lens flares when I was shooting from just the wrong angle.

I don't use a len hood a lot, but have found indoors it can cut the light enough that I've had to adjust accordingly. I think it would depend on what type of low light setting you'll be in, if there are lights that could cause flare or not (concert/club indoor low light or general indoor event in low light).

Sharon

....have found indoors it can cut the light enough that I've had to adjust accordingly.

Sharon

I have never experience that. A lens hood should never require you to adjust exposure, if that is what you are saying. The incorrect hood for the lens will either cause some vignetting if it is too long for the lens, or be less than optimally effective if it is too short. Improperly mounted petal shaped hoods will cause some odd shaped vignettes on opposite corners of the image.

In addition to controlling flare a lens hood is a good means of protecting the front element of your lens from stray fingers and other objects hitting the front element, better than any filter and won't degrade image quality.

In addition to controlling flare a lens hood is a good means of protecting the front element of your lens from stray fingers and other objects hitting the front element, better than any filter and won't degrade image quality.
:thumbsup:

I don't use a len hood a lot, but have found indoors it can cut the light enough that I've had to adjust accordingly. I think it would depend on what type of low light setting you'll be in, if there are lights that could cause flare or not (concert/club indoor low light or general indoor event in low light).

Sharon

Well I'm not sure what light I will have because I haven't seen the venue. It was described as a gym/ auditorium. I think the lighting is the same as a bar which tells me very low. I think that flare would not be a problem. Most gyms or auditoriums have over head lighting which in this case may be turned down very low. I should have a chance to see it an hour before the event starts.

Yup, accidentally let the camera strap slip off my shoulder ... camera and lens when straight down onto gravel ... only the lens hood was damaged.

That happens on some lenses anyways if the lens is a big'un...

Most reactions

Back