Need recommendation for top quality B&W enlarger

I could not agree more with Amolitor. There are quite a few 23CII on ebay for various $$$ depending on the condition. You can buy one new at B&H and Adorama for less than a K, but I would spend my money on a couple of good APO lenses and get a used enlarger. They are simple and there is not much that can go wrong short of dropping them out of a 3rd floor walk-up window. Good luck.

I think (check to be sure) you need a 50mm enlarging lens for 35mm and an 80mm lens for med. format.

I agree with Derrell. No question (apart from the format issue, but I suggest getting more than one enlarger if you can).

The type of head hasn't been discussed much. When I had the space available at home I had four enlargers: a Chromega for colour up to 4x5 and three condenser enlargers for B&W, one for each of the three general formats (4x5, medium format to 6x9 which I used a lot, and 35 mm). That way I never had to switch condensers, I only had to adjust the lamp focus on the medium format enlarger when I switched from a 105 mm lens for 6x9 to an 80 mm lens for 6x6.

That's why I would suggest getting at least two enlargers: the Focomat for everything up to medium format and a diffusion / mixing box type of colour or multigrade enlarger for 4x5. It is no big deal to use multigrade filters above the condensers in a 35 mm or medium format enlarger (better than below-the-lens filters) but for 4x5 the convenience of a multigrade or colour head is probably worth having because the advantages of a condenser head are slight for 4x5, at least from my experience. The filter issue only matters if you will be using multigrade paper, of course.

Summary: get two enlargers if you can, but if you have to stick with one then make it the a colour or multigrade 4x5 enlarger like a Chromega.

Common lens focal lengths:
for 35 mm - either 40 mm wide angle (for larger enlargements with same head height) or 50 mm (most common)
for small end of medium format - 63 mm, 75 mm or 80 mm
for 6x9 - 105 mm
for 4x5 - 150 mm
For optimum quality you can select the lens based on enlargement. There are different lenses for different enlargement ranges. Google for data charts before selecting a lens.)

Are you close to Memphis? I have several enlargers, one of which is the Beseler 23c II that has been mentioned. It was my favorite and my go to enlarger that probably was used on 90% plus of my work. One is a Nikor and not sure what the others are since I rarely used them. Many lenses....believe 35, 50, 70, 80 and 135 if I'm not mistaken. About 75% sure of those. It's been a while(2006), since I have used the darkroom. I am a retired photographer of about 28 years. Also two Beseler 16 table top processors and one dryer and a Fuji FA720(pp1270). The Fuji is a large floor model like you used to see at Wal-marts and other photo labs. Don't really want to get rid of it but have faced the fact that I will never use this equipment again. So I would be willing to sell it at very reasonable price(s). If you are interested...let me know and I will give you contact information.

Dennis

Wyogirl is correct. You can use a 75MM for 645 120 film (2-1/4 x 2-!/4), but the 80 goes al the way up to 6X9CM
Regards

Got your message and tried to reply but it said you are not receiving messages. If you can change your settings or give me a way of getting with you we can go from there.

I'm still very happy with my pair of aging Omega D2's. They aren't fancy, but they are solid
I have a Schneider 80 and 150mm and a EL-Nikkor 50mm which covers all my needs.
Unlike Andrew, I also owned a Bessler 45XL which I didn't care for. Darn shame. I couldn't give the Bessler away and it went out in the trash. I even advertised in our local free paper. Not a nibble

Most reactions

Back