Need recommendations on developing old film negatives in the LA area

mysterious137

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was cleaning out my storage unit this past weekend and came across a bunch of undeveloped 35mm film rolls. I would love to get them developed, but I'm not sure where to go to do so. I came across professional photo printing, but I'm not sure of their reliability or quality. Does anyone have any experience with them, or any recommendations as to where I can get these film rolls developed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

If it's color film, you can use just about anyone. There's very little that can be changed in terms of developing C-41 to adjust for the film being old. The color process just has no latitude.

Now, if it happens to be black & white, that's a whole other ball game.

You could try Richard Photo Lab in Calfornia but it might be more pricey - probably worth it if the photos are significant. Otherwise, if you aren't sure what's on the film, how old it is, how it was stored (preferably in a cool place), then maybe start out with a roll or two and try anyplace that processes film just to see what you've got.

Color will often change over time but B&W can sit in a camera for decades and still produce good quality images. That might be worth getting developed by a photo lab with experienced staff. If you have color film that doesn't turn out well but is important to you it's possible to have restoration done by someplace like Film Rescue International.

To send it out for developing you could try The Darkroom (in San Clemente) - Ilford has a lab in the same building. Or Dwayne's in Kansas, or Blue Moon in Oregon.

Most reactions

Back