Need Review about 70-210mm f/4.0-5.6 AF Lens

mdmosta319

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy this lens for my Nikon D5200. I want review for this lens.

Should I buy this lens for $30 or less?

I have no idea about this lens, need some information about this lens with my D5200.

Thanks.
s-l1600.jpg

I want to buy this lens for my Nikon D5200. I want review for this lens.

Should I buy this lens for $30 or less?

I have no idea about this lens, need some information about this lens with my D5200.

Thanks.
s-l1600.jpg
My guess is it won't be anything stellar and more than likely less than. There is a reason they are cheap. Probably borderline acceptable on a full frame digital, more likely soft on a crop APC sensor such as yours. AF will probably be fairly slow as well. Build quality leaves a lot to be desired when compared to Nikon AF type glass of it's era. Never owned one but did own a 70-300 sigma that I gave along with a film camera to a member on here, @JonA_CT. He shared a couple images with it on his full frame digital and they looked good. I tried it on my D7200 and not so good but I had a lemon of a D7200 so that may have factored in.

Need more info. If that's an older Sigma lens, it will NOT AF on your 5200! Need to make sure it's a model with a focus motor in the Lens itself!!

Just looked it up. It will NOT autofocus on your D5200 or any D3xxx or D5xxx series cameras. It needs a body focusing motor. That's D7xxx and higher cameras.

Need more info. If that's an older Sigma lens, it will NOT AF on your 5200! Need to make sure it's a model with a focus motor in the Lens itself!!
Any idea about its quality?
Sigma Auto Focus UC ZOOM 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 Multi-Coated

No, not on a digital body anyway. It's similar to lenses of the same mm and aperture from that same time period. 90's design lens.

It will not AF on your camera, and it may not work with your camera at all! Since it's Sigma it may not have the correct chip set to work with modern DSLR's since Sigma backwards engineers their lenses to work on Nikon Canon Sony etc. And since it's over 20 years old. It may not communicate with your D5200. If your going to buy it, you need to try it first!

I bought a Tokina 70-210mm f/4~5.6 AF lens for $29.95 a couple weekends ago...pretty good performance on the Nikon D610'--a camera which HAS an in-body focusing motor for older, pre- AF-S type autofocusing lenses.

I agree with benhasajeep above; the lens you show is older, and might not work all that well on newer Nikon bodies. I OWN the same lens, in Canon EF mount...got it with a Rebel XT 35mm AF film camera, but the lens does NOT work on my EOS 20D or EOS 5D cameras...it locks those cameras up every second or third frame. A reallll PITA!

For the D3xxx and D5xxx series bodies, most people would recommend AF-S or Sigma HSM lenses...not screw-driven autofocusing lenses.

As mentioned, need more info. You don't have to shout, we are trying to help,you. I'm done with is thread. Your really good at bolding and increasing font. Why don't you use that talent by searching for users. I did, for you, and I came up with a crapp load of info. But you come back with bolted caps. Thanks. Good luck.

As mentioned, need more info. You don't have to shout, we are trying to help,you. I'm done with is thread. Your really good at bolding and increasing font. Why don't you use that talent by searching for users. I did, for you, and I came up with a crapp load of info. But you come back with bolted caps. Thanks. Good luck.
I was not trying to shout. I just copied and paste here those text from title and font became Bold and larger. I am new here and don't have much idea about forum.

Buy it, review it and tell us what you think.
But I doubt anyone would recommend that lens for your camera.

Really old and cheap stuff sometimes is just really old and cheap. The internal mechanics could be loose. Fungus and Delamination may exist. There is so much that could be wrong with old lenses that you really have to try them if you don't know what to ask and look for. Plus it's an old sigma, I never liked sigma back in the day.

Really old and cheap stuff sometimes is just really old and cheap. The internal mechanics could be loose. Fungus and Delamination may exist. There is so much that could be wrong with old lenses that you really have to try them if you don't know what to ask and look for. Plus it's an old sigma, I never liked sigma back in the day.
Someone looked it up, it won't af on his body.

In this case the best situation is to skip this lens. Yes, could be a really good deal. But since we know at least one function will not work with your camera body. It's probably not worth that low price.

I know, it's an old push pull type lens.
So AF won't work, but it may work in Manual Focus. Maybe (like Derrel mentions).

I know, it's an old push pull type lens.
So AF won't work, but it may work in Manual Focus. Maybe (like Derrel mentions).

If the chip is old, the camera may not meter or give focus confirmation (may not recognize a lens on the body at all). That's the risk with Sigma / Tamron / Tokina. Since they backwards engineered the chips to work with cameras at that time. They don't always work with newer bodies. Sigma used to reflash the chips if you sent them to them (whole lens). Not sure if that is still the case. They have now allowed user reflashing / settings with the new sport lenses and their USB lens docks.

Thank you everyone. You guyz helped me lot...:02.47-tranquillity::02.47-tranquillity:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back