What's new

Need some advice...

Kerbouchard

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
2,697
Reaction score
575
Location
DFW
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, my birthday is around the corner, and I convinced my wife to let me spend what I just earned assiting in a few weddings on a studio flash. I bought an AB 1600 and have absolutely nothing to go with it. I've always shot with speedlights(Sb-600/SB-800's). I have light stands, umbreallas, soft boxes, etc, but I don't have any wireless triggers or battery packs. In any case, I have been reading some reviews and I think I may have made the wrong choice. The stories of the color shifts at lower power levels worries me, especially since I will probably be at lower power levels 80% of the time. About the only time I can think of that I will be at the higher power levels is in broad day light and I will need to buy a battery pack before that happens.

This is my first studio flash and I'm just not sure about anything. It is supposed to get here on Monday, but I am already thinking about returning it for a White Lighting 800.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
So, my birthday is around the corner, and I convinced my wife to let me spend what I just earned assisting in a few weddings on a studio flash. I bought an AB 1600 and have absolutely nothing to go with it. I've always shot with speedlights(Sb-600/SB-800's). I have light stands, umbreallas, soft boxes, etc, but I don't have any wireless triggers or battery packs. In any case, I have been reading some reviews and I think I may have made the wrong choice. The stories of the color shifts at lower power levels worries me, especially since I will probably be at lower power levels 80% of the time. About the only time I can think of that I will be at the higher power levels is in broad day light and I will need to buy a battery pack before that happens.

This is my first studio flash and I'm just not sure about anything. It is supposed to get here on Monday, but I am already thinking about returning it for a White Lighting 800.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't admit that on the Internet.
You're setting back the cause of men's liberation.:lol:
 
Well, other than The Travelers excellent, but completely useless and irrelevent advice, does anybody have anything else to add?

I got a chance to try it out today, but even at low to mid power levels, I am still ending up at base ISO and f/16...not exactly a place I want to be limited to shooting at. I may have just chosen too powerful of a flash.

I also figured out one other thing. I won't be able to use it to supplement light from my TTL speedlights until I buy a pocket wizard or some other remote device. The pre-flash from the TTL triggers the optical slave and messes with the synch.

Honestly, considering the limitations, the fact that I don't have a battery pack, and I don't have radio triggers, I'm not all that happy with my purchase. I can make it work, but until I can add some other gear, it will probably sit in the closet. The power requirements and wires seem to make it more trouble than it's worth.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom