Need some AF tips

Probably not, but Ornello is certainly a troll's troll.

He travels the internet just to see what damage he can do and then moves on - just not soon enough.

He doesn't seem to have purchased anything new in decades. He certainly hasn't had a new thought in even longer.

Ignore him.

He has nothing positive to offer anyone.

Due to the 'ignore' function I'm missing a good bit of this thread, but the part that I CAN see is pretty entertaining.:popcorn:

I choose what to focus on.

I find that AF work great for high school football, which is much faster then youth.
SNO_2350-L.jpg

SNO_2205-L.jpg

Works great for Rodeo pictures
SNO_2688-L.jpg

and even motocross
SNO_7788-L.jpg

.........He has nothing positive to offer anyone.

Sure he does. It's called entertainment.[/QUOTE]

You must be one of those few people who enjoy having a migraine.

You must be one of those few people who enjoy having a migraine.

No. It's just a much more pleasant diversion from the political crap on the news these days.

Ever try a cooking show? 'Cause, if Ornello is your idea of entertainment, you're diet probably lacks fiber.

The thing with sport, is that to be a decent sport photographer, you need to know the rules and the tactics of the game. If you do, then you know the likely direction of play. I'm not a birder - I'm into landscape and perfectly happy to shoot with manual focus. But it seems to me that birds are far more random and unpredictable than a sport that has certain tactics that are often used. In football (soccer) you know that a ball is likely to be sent into the middle from the wing, so you can aim your camera at the players in the middle and manually focus there (though you won't find many paper pros doing this). Birds can go off in any direction at anytime, so it's far more unpredictable. Coastalconn will know better than I as I know from his work here and on Nikonrumors that he is a great birder...

I always use single point selection (with the 51 available), and use AF-C for anything moving, AF-S for anything stationary with my D7200. I had issues with the D7000, but after upgrading I don't miss too much stuff, it's pretty good down to fairly low light. Has surprised me a few times, AF locked in some low light situations where my D7000 would have been hunting for days. Of course, if it's stationary and I have time I use manual and zoom in on live view to really nail it.

I was recently turned on to back button AF. I haven't tried it yet, but once I get past the initial brain reprogramming (I'm worried I'm going to forget I switched to that and miss focus), it seems like it's much better. Always have AF-C selected, and have the benefit of AF-S by design. Camera doesn't require you to refocus when taking each shot, if it's not needed in your composure. Worth exploring I think.

The thing with sport, is that to be a decent sport photographer, you need to know the rules and the tactics of the game. If you do, then you know the likely direction of play. I'm not a birder - I'm into landscape and perfectly happy to shoot with manual focus. But it seems to me that birds are far more random and unpredictable than a sport that has certain tactics that are often used. In football (soccer) you know that a ball is likely to be sent into the middle from the wing, so you can aim your camera at the players in the middle and manually focus there (though you won't find many paper pros doing this). Birds can go off in any direction at anytime, so it's far more unpredictable. Coastalconn will know better than I as I know from his work here and on Nikonrumors that he is a great birder...

Oh, yes, I know the various games well (rugby, soccer, football, etc.) and have been photographing sports for many decades. The problem with the kiddie football (and even at other levels) is the 'scrum' where there is just a pile of bodies. You have to wait for a player to break out, and sometimes you have to wait it seems forever. You simply haven't got anything to photograph!

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/screen-shot-2014-11-02-at-7-31-39-pm.png?w=1000&h=628

This happens a lot more in kiddie football because the kids don't have a lot of strength yet to push the others out of the way.

With birds, you have three problems: Movement, distance, and size. Birds swooping and zooming around are very difficult to track with long lenses. With sports, you don't have to worry so much about that sort of movement. The problem is getting a clear line of sight.

........With birds, you have three problems: Movement, distance, and size. Birds swooping and zooming around are very difficult to track with long lenses. ..........

But, obviously, you have mastered that......... correct?

........With birds, you have three problems: Movement, distance, and size. Birds swooping and zooming around are very difficult to track with long lenses. ..........

But, obviously, you have mastered that......... correct?

Oh, I haven't really done much of that kind of photography.

So in conclusion........... you're offering advice about a method you've never used, for a subject you've never really shot.

What next? How to perform heart surgery? Fly a 777? Be a prison warden? Become a mercenary? Guard at Buckingham Palace?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back