Need some AF tips

Hi,

I've been doing birds photography for a while and was a beginner for a time ;)

First I would say that you need to master the speed/aperture/iso settings.
The smaller the bird is, the more difficult it is. Small birds move, so you need high speed so you need better lens. And if you cannot afford a huge tele you need to know how to get close to them!

For the settings, on Nikon :
- D9 with center focus point is the fastest. The focus is not on closet (as I could read in a post) but it focus on the more contrasted thing close to AF active focus point.
- 3D is too slow for quick small birds
- No manual !! well yes but not for beginners !
- Focus on the eye
- start with egret, ducks or that kind of easy birds.

Just if you want to see the kind of thing I did with a cheap D5000 camera, have a look here (some are mixed with D610n so look at the tags) : Animalier

Hi,

The smaller the bird is, the more difficult it is. Small birds move, so you need high speed so you need better lens. And if you cannot afford a huge tele you need to know how to get close to them!

- D9 with center focus point is the fastest. The focus is not on closet (as I could read in a post) but it focus on the more contrasted thing close to AF active focus point.
- Focus on the eye

Just if you want to see the kind of thing I did with a cheap D5000 camera, have a look here (some are mixed with D610n so look at the tags) : Animalier

To be frank, I don't understand the preoccupation with birds. They are not easy to photograph.

Hi,

- Focus on the eye

To be frank, I don't understand the preoccupation with birds. They are not easy to photograph.

That's exactly what keeps me going after them!

Hi,

- Focus on the eye

First he's asking for bird photography
Second, they are not so difficult to photography. My gallery shows beginner shots.

Envoyé de mon SGP612 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi,

- Focus on the eye

That's exactly what keeps me going after them!

Well, my efforts at photographing live dodos have so far been utterly fruitless!

To be frank, I don't understand the preoccupation with manual focus. Autofocus is a tool, just like any other tool. When one knows how to use the tool properly, one can get fantastic results.

To be frank, I don't understand the preoccupation with manual focus. Autofocus is a tool, just like any other tool. When one knows how to use the tool properly, one can get fantastic results.

I'm not preoccupied with it. It's what I have.

So........... you've never used AF?

Don't need it. I have played with them, yes, but why change something that works just fine? I have 8 Leica R lenses from 21mm to 560mm, and they are all exquisite.

Don't need it. I have played with them, yes, but why change something that works just fine? I have 8 Leica R lenses from 21mm to 560mm, and they are all exquisite.

In other words, you're condemning something you have NO experience with.

In other words, you're condemning something you have NO experience with.

Not at all. Why is the original poster having trouble? Because AF sucks.

To the op (remember the op?): use single focus point AF, check your viewfinder/LCD to determine where the lens has focused and then adjust via manual focus override.

"Ornello" = the man who does nothing but argue stupid things stupidly. I had hoped never to see you show up on another forum ever again.

This guy's a total waste of your time, folks. He's not paying attention to what you say. He just argues to argue. Arguing by using stupid ideas is his hobby. all he wants is a reaction from you. He's not here to help anyone other than himself.

Ignore him for your own sanity.

This isn't..... that guy again..... Is it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back