Need some film help

Zaphod2319

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am bringing home a Beseler enlarger today. I have never processed film before. I have a Bronica ETRSi coming.

I plan on using C41 processing chemicals. Is there specific color 120 films to use knowing I will process it with a C41 kit? 120 films that work better than others with C41?

Sorry if this is a typical newb question. My search foo did not answer it for me.

C-41 chemicals are for "color print films" such as Kodak Ektar 100 or Fuji Pro 400H. Just remember C-41 process is not as forgiving as black and white. You have to pay strict attention to the temperature of the chemicals. Same goes for using RA-4 chemicals for developing the color paper. As far as films that "work better" in the C-41 process. all color print films work well.
You can also "cross process" slide film (normally a E-6 process) in C-41 to get a off color high contrast negative for an artsy affect.

I tell all noobs to the darkroom, find old photo books to help you learn, they are cheap and plentiful.

Umm, if you have never used/developed/printed film before ... I suggest you start with B&W.
This ^^^^^

I would also be tempted to run a film through the Bronica and send it to a lab for processing before I tried my own processing.

Using a 'new' old camera, using film and trying processing for the first time will give you a very large number of variables and sorting out any problems will be next to impossible.

If your test film cones back from the lab as it should, you know the camera is fine. Any problems with the test film, you can present it here and we can have a good idea as to what is wrong. Then try developing your own B&W film - again, we can offer advice on developers and technique at the point. Colour is much harder as temperature and timing are critical while with B&W you can be quite a bit off and still get usable results.

Edit: the Bronica ETRs is an excellent camera.

I am bringing home a Beseler enlarger today. I have never processed film before.

You know that enlargers aren't used to process film, right? They're for making prints.

I agree that starting with B&W would be advisable. Color darkroom work can be difficult even for those experienced with B&W.

I would also be tempted to run a film through the Bronica and send it to a lab for processing before I tried my own processing.

That is a great idea. I have a wonderful shop that will process the film in house for $8 US. The only problem with using them is they are 40 miles from the house, so it is not a feasible long term solution. They have processed my 35mm in the last month.

I am bringing home a Beseler enlarger today. I have never processed film before.

You know that enlargers aren't used to process film, right? They're for making prints.

Yes, I am aware. I just added that as a reference as I am setting up a darkroom and plan on processing my own film and making my own prints. Also a hint of how anxiously excited I am to start.

I had thought about starting with B&W. I have been a home brewer and make my own wine. Several of my homebrew friends that do their own prints said as long as I stay with the meticulous adherence to details of the process, I will be fine with color processing.

I do appreciate the constructive criticism and advice.

Dave

ETA, when I say home brewer friends, I am referring to online friends who process their own film and prints. I wish I had a local mentor for film.

Last edited:
Yeaaaaah

The universe is now officially telling me Black and White. The enlarger came with over 50 8x10 and over 50 5x7 b&w paper.
B7RYvtt.jpg

Most reactions

Back