Need some first-time wedding photographer help!

LittleMiss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be shooting a wedding as a 3rd photographer. I am family and I was asked to do it by them so I could build a portfolio since they really liked my work. I will be using my D-90 and I already have a kit 18-55mm VR lens and also a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D-AF. I will be renting the SB700 flash for the indoor reception. I didn't want to use the 18-55 lens for the wedding so I decided to rent.

I will be renting some lenses from borrowlenses.com and one I had on my list was the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 for wide-angle. I have read it's a great lens! Any other suggestions would be nice.

She also wants me to have a lens for close-ups and zoom. So, my question is what would be a great lens for that? I was thinking maybe the 24-70mm Nikon? I don't think I will really need a huge zoom lens since I won't be too far away from everything.

I also do have a Zeikos macro tube extension set if I wanted to get some macros that I attache to my 50mm but if there was a lens I could use as macro but also zoom, that would be nice too!

Any suggestions would be great! This will be the beginning of a possible wedding photographer career, if it goes as planned :)

Bear in mind that with a wide angle lens, you will have to get right up in peoples faces to look like you are close to the action and this will cause some weird looking distortions on peoples faces. Giant noses etc.
I would be more inclined to rent something like a 24-120 lens and stick with the 50mm. That should be wide enough.

Get something like 17-55 Nikon or 17-50 Tamron. Both are good lenses (different in price though) and you won't go back to 18-55.
Does the HIRED PHOTOGRAPHER knows that you'll be doing what you'll be doing? If not, your family (who ever is paying him/her) needs to contact the that person and made sure that its ok by the contract.

P.M. if you want to talk more details.
Good Luck

I would be more inclined to rent something like a 24-120 lens and stick with the 50mm. That should be wide enough.

She wanted me to get a wide angle for group shots of the party. Something that I could stand back a bit and get the whole group. So, I am assuming the 11-16mm is more like fisheye?

Get something like 17-55 Nikon or 17-50 Tamron. Both are good lenses (different in price though) and you won't go back to 18-55.
Does the HIRED PHOTOGRAPHER knows that you'll be doing what you'll be doing? If not, your family (who ever is paying him/her) needs to contact the that person and made sure that its ok by the contract.

P.M. if you want to talk more details.
Good Luck

Is the 17-50 Tamron lens better glass than the 18-55? The one available is the 17-50 f/2.8 XR DiII. Is that the right one? I just checked the website to rent and the 17-55 Nikon and isn't available until the 25th of this month. I was looking to rent them tonight and sent in time for next weekend.

The hired photographer is the brides parents and cousin and they knew about it before me. lol.

You should seriously consider renting a 70-200mm 2.8, longer focal lengths make for more flattering headshots. Combine that with a 24mm wide angle, for group shots, and you're set!

Just make sure you rent ahead of time and take a day or two to become familiar with the lenses!

She wanted me to get a wide angle for group shots of the party. Something that I could stand back a bit and get the whole group. So, I am assuming the 11-16mm is more like fisheye?

No. There's slight barrel distortion on the widest end but its nothing noticeable unless you are only like a foot away from your subject or shooting something with a lot of vertical or horizontal lines.

You should seriously consider renting a 70-200mm 2.8, longer focal lengths make for more flattering headshots. Combine that with a 24mm wide angle, for group shots, and you're set!

Just make sure you rent ahead of time and take a day or two to become familiar with the lenses!

I thought about the 70-200mm and think I may go with but I want to make sure, I get the VR and not the VR II with the D90 right? I also have in my cart the 17-55mm but what about this 24mm lens? Do I get rid of the 17-55 and replace with a 24mm wide angle?

I only want to rent 2 lenses since I won't have a backup body and so far, I am confused hehe!

I love the headshots that my 70-200mm takes. The grain and noise are intentional.

106.jpg

I have the 70-200 in my cart which is probably a definite rental... I also have the 17-55 and a Tokina 11-16. I am just debating right now what 2 I really want and the 2 I would really need :)

I don't think that the 18-105 is very good indoors I had that lens and the other two lenses she is looking at leave it in the dust the quality difference is that noticeable. Honestly don't go overboard with lens rentals. I think the 17 to 55 and 70 - 200 would be just fine. You can use the 70 - 200 VR II on your D90 just fine as well. I did. Don't get all caught up with the gear. Get caught up with taking great images. Good luck.

No. There's slight barrel distortion on the widest end but its nothing noticeable unless you are only like a foot away from your subject or shooting something with a lot of vertical or horizontal lines.

You're confusing lens distortion with perpective distortion. Perspective distortion is always a feature of an ultra-wide angle lens and is unavoidable. It is what makes noses look huge compared to the rest of the face on close in headshots like this:
perspective_distortion_ghosts_pictures_62010a.jpg

It is not a flattering look and I wouldn't recommend it for a wedding, even if getting in peoples faces with a wide angle lens somehow made your task easier.

If you're a third shooter, I think you need the 70-200 to be afar and ninja some shots. There will be 2 other shooters, and probably videographer/s there so you'll be in the way being so close.

It is not a flattering look and I wouldn't recommend it for a wedding, even if getting in peoples faces with a wide angle lens somehow made your task easier.

I never stated I wanted to "get in peoples faces" with a wide-angle. I may not be an expert but I do know better than that... I do believe group shot was the keyword. And what's this task I want to make easier? I don't remember posting that.

Most reactions

Back