Need some help pricing a job ASAP!

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, long time no see!

So the other day a friends mother approached me- she is an interior designer out in Dix Hills on Long Island, NY which is a very upscale community with large homes and mansions (one of which she lives in herself). She asked me to photograph one of the Mansions she re-decorated. She wants me to photograph the large kitchen/eat in area, bar/pool table room, a long hallway, a grand piano room, a bedroom upstairs, a small (VERY SMALL) bathroom, and possibly another bedroom or two. She needs them next week, and asked me to give her a proposal.

Now I've taken thousands of photos and plenty of indoor - room/interior images but never to this scale (like an actual Interior-Design Shoot) So pretty much I would say I have "little to no experience" doing this type of shoot, and she is aware of that. Luckily she is also new to having her work shot professionally -- HOME MAGAZINE happened to contact her and offer her a spread, so she asked me to help her out. We're both unsure how to approach this and I'm DEFINITELY clueless how to PRICE this.

She asked me originally to shoot a bathroom, I was going to charge her 150-200 including post processing, but when I showed up and she said she decided she wanted most of the Mansion shot, I told her I'd have to get back to her on a price -- so help me out guys! I want to be paid what I deserve of course, but I also don't want the price to be so high she won't use me again - and if I do a good job I end up in HOME MAGAZINE which is great exposure and would be my first appearance in print. I'd also be referred to any other people who may need interior (or even other subject) photography.... So how do I find a happy medium where she wont freak out about the price but that I wont be underselling myself.

I did some research around the web but couldn't find much. I found one person who just charged a half day price of 600$ another who shot a whole mansion for 800$ but they told him he could have easily asked for 1000$. I'd love to hear everyones opinions. Unfortunately one of the main reasons I haven't perused too much "independent" work is because I never know how to charge them. I'd hate to lose this (or any) job because I over-priced it but of course I want to ensure I am getting paid fairly.

All feedback is appreciated, but please respond fast I'd like to send her a quote by tomorrow, or Saturday

Thanks!!!

If the magazine hired you it would be around 350-450 bucks and you would have to turn over all rights to the images. If you are looking for exposure , well you have to adjust for that , is the job going to get you more work? Is it going to be a tearsheet you can show someone of your work? is so price it to get more work. Most of us have a minimum just to open the bag, which is about 2 hours work. You need to set a price for yourself and be happy with it.
-
Shoot well, Joe
-
P.S. if you have to buy equipment to do the shoot do not go overboard.

If the magazine hired you it would be around 350-450 bucks and you would have to turn over all rights to the images. If you are looking for exposure , well you have to adjust for that , is the job going to get you more work? Is it going to be a tearsheet you can show someone of your work? is so price it to get more work. Most of us have a minimum just to open the bag, which is about 2 hours work. You need to set a price for yourself and be happy with it.
-
Shoot well, Joe
-
P.S. if you have to buy equipment to do the shoot do not go overboard.

Thanks.

The magazine didn't hire me though she did - they want a spread so she asked if I could shoot it. I don't have to buy any equipment. If I price it to "get more work" then it's going to be cheaper than it should be and then every time I get more work I'm going to be working for less than I'm worth, no?

Any other suggestions for a price? I know how to "come up" with a price, in terms of the information I need to factor in to decide the value, etc etc but the actual decision of a number is what I'm having trouble with. I was thinking about $600, is that too much? It's definitely going to be a lot of work but since I'm an amateur when it comes to interior photography I didn't want to charge her too much.

Thanks I'm really nervous about the job, I hope this goes well- getting into Home Magazine would be pretty amazing! I'm going to see if I get any more responses, I'll send her the proposal tomorrow night.

....Luckily she is also new to having her work shot professionally.....
Are you a professional?

The pricing you have mentioned and apparent lack of understanding about how editorial images are licensed and priced indicates you have little, if any, professional commercial or editorial photography experience. Both are approached much differently than retail photography pricing.

IMO, someone who charges to take photographs is not automatically a professional photographer.

You may find helpful info if you visit www.asmp.org. On the left side of their home page click on 'Business Resources'.

Licensing costs for your images to the magazine would depend on the magazines circulation (print run size), the number of your images they use, where in the magazine they use them, and at what size they are used.

Not all magazines require copyright transfer, and frankly any magazine that does should be suspect, because the magazine doesn't need all rights.

...someone who charges to take photographs is not automatically a professional photographer.

Amen! Evidently, Melissa feels the same too since she said, "...I'm an amateur when it comes to interior photography..."

Licensing costs for your images to the magazine would depend on the magazines circulation (print run size), the number of your images they use, where in the magazine they use them, and at what size they are used.

Say, Keith.... would you agree that this is approach is an ideal or purist way to go? The vast majority of (all) the work done in my area (fairly close to Chicago) is never priced this way. I've done commercial work all my career, and am certain I can't get paid like this.

I realize I don't produce amazing work. In fact, there's nothing really remarkable about what I do on a day-in-day-out basis. But I do think I have a level of proficiency that's more than adequate.

What I'm getting at is this: If I quote a job (old or new client) and limit the use of the image, I won't be working. I'm not a "rock star" photographer. I know there are guys in the city who have full schedules and produce top-drawer work. I'm not one of them. Where I work, there are several other guys or gals who do what I do and are more than willing to step in and do the job.

I've always had to deliver the chromes to the client. Years ago, I realized I'd rather spend my time shooting more work for them than policing what they do with what I've already done. Besides, the vast majority of commercial work is pretty perishable. The products improve, changes in logos and packaging, new products added... I like being a continued source to my customers. I like that they feel they can count on me. I don't want to be considered as the guy that's difficult to deal with.

Don't you come across this too?

-Pete

...someone who charges to take photographs is not automatically a professional photographer.

Amen! Evidently, Melissa feels the same too since she said, "...I'm an amateur when it comes to interior photography..."

thanks lol

So I decided to give her a price of $500 I told her usually a job like this could run 8 or 900 but because it's both of our first time doing this and because there is a possibility that I'll end up in Home Magazine I didn't mind the low price. I was also nervous she would turn the shoot down and honestly, I need the money and I could certainly use the exposure! I don't mind starting off small considering I really don't know what I'm doing and especially if she'll recommend me to friends.

I shoot tomorrow at 2, the natural light in the house is beautiful at that time of the day and it should make the job much easier. I have an off camera flash as well as an extra light I took from my studio in CT. Unfortunately in my rush to catch the ferry I forgot the radio transmitter so I have to go buy one which sucks, but I'll just return it next week. I'm very nervous about this but very very excited!!!

I'll certainly post some photos after it's done, just hope you guys aren't too hard on me lol.

Wish me luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back