Need some help with this one

cso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Does either work, and if so, which one is stronger (and of course I'm always wide open to any other comments/advice/criticism etc)

Attempt 1
medium.jpg

Attempt 2
medium.jpg

Model Canon EOS 20D
50 mm f1.4
Exposure Time 1/1000 sec
Aperture f/6.3
ISO Equivalent 100

Shot in Manhattan somewhere near the Lincoln Tunnel

Well its hard to tell which is stronger without knowing what you are tying to convey with your picture, what meaning you are trying to get through. I prefer #1 more in concept although the man seems to be blocking his face.

Thanks Darin...didn't explain what I was trying to convey because I always think that if I have to, then the photo isn't doing it's job. Appreciate the feedback...

I like the first one better. I like the dark of the street against the white of the walls making the guy walking stand out to me. The second one is busy, IMO.

cso said:
Thanks Darin...didn't explain what I was trying to convey because I always think that if I have to, then the photo isn't doing it's job.

with this in mind, i believe it did work. both seem to have subjects tucked in nicely within the parameters of the border and seem well exposed....did i win? if not, you may want to consider Darin's comment and provide a bit of what you're trying to convey in these images. doing so will get you more constructive feedback...otherwise it turns into a guessing game between you and us.

As JonMikal said.
It's one thing letting an image speak for itself when you are happy with it, but if you are asking people if an image 'works' then it usualy means that you don't know whether it does or not. Explaining - or trying to explain - what it was that you were trying to do will not only help us to give better feedback, it will clarify your thinking and you will be able to decide for yourself.
That aside, I like both images but if I had to choose then it would be No1.

I understand the concept that you were going for (I think) but I have one huge problem with the photos, the lack of detail. I think you have a great idea but the focus is too far out and there is no point of reference as far as I can see. This gives me the feel of an Abbey Road album cover style pic and I like it. If there is any way to get more detail on it, try.

Good eye!!! The two photos seem to be treating this background differently. The first photo seems lonely. The second is interesting because of the colours and action. Again; depends on what you were looking for.

Wow, thought after a few days that I wasn't going to get any more feedback. Thanks everyone...much appreciated.

...Craig got it. I apologise for making it a guessing game but the guesses give me a lot of really useful information.

The first one was supposed to be kinda lonely/isolated. Clean featureless background, post no bills which is a forbidding exclusionary message.

Second one I didn't like as much but some of my friends liked the busy NYC energy thing more than the lonely/isolated thing and thought that the second worked better.

It is all about the useful information. Photo dialogue can be tough. As a general rule; spill all your imediate thoughts on the shot.

This is a scene I would keep going back to. I love the white wash plywood with the "POST NO BILLS".

Most reactions

Back