Need some help!

panasonic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I am doing a project in which I compare and contrast film photography and digital photography and I was wonder if their was anyone on here that could help me by answering some simple questions about this topic.

Thanks
panasonic

1.For someone just starting to get into photography do you believe digital or film would be easier to learn, why?
2.Do you believe digital or film is more reliable and get the job done better, why?

3.Do you believe that film has more artistic value over digital, why?
4.Which would you rely on to have the better image quality?
5.Do you believe digital or film is better in all around lighting?
6.Would you rather only use film or digital, why?
7.What are the disadvantages of digital that make you use film?
8.What are the disadvantages of film that make you use digital?
9.Which do you believe has the most meaning involved in creating the photograph, why?
10.What is your favorite thing digital can do and film can not, or what is your favorite thing film can do and digital can not?

1.For someone just starting to get into photography do you believe digital or film would be easier to learn, why?
2.Do you believe digital or film is more reliable and get the job done better, why?

9.Which do you believe has the most meaning involved in creating the photograph, why?
10.What is your favorite thing digital can do and film can not, or what is your favorite thing film can do and digital can not?

1. Digital. You can see results instantly, and make on-the-spot adjustments. And you can shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot -- and just delete all the mistakes.
2. Digital. I'm more prone to accidentally open the camera back and ruin the film than a digital camera is to fail.
3. Meh. Shoot what you like -- the artist has artistic value, not his paintbrush.
4. Depends on what kind of film, I think -- as well as what digital camera. I may not shoot enough film to know.
5. It's easier to adjust digital in low light, for what that's worth.
6. Digital.
7. None, really -- I shoot film to change things up every now and again.
8. The lack of instant results, and the need to have film developed.
9. Photography has meaning (if it does have meaning -- not all does...I mean, if I take a picture of my feet and start rambling about the meaning of it...) because of what you shoot and how -- not what you shoot with.
10. Instant feedback from digital.

OK, I'm game..

1: Agree with TOB.

2: That's a wash, way to complicated for an either or answer.

3: Only to people who value film over digital. Art is nothing more than stylized communication and Value is just a capitalistic convention for desire, so you have no real choice but to peddle what's selling. (if your 'art' is never seen then it has failed as communication and is therefore a failure as art)

4: With the equipment I have? Digital. Other than that I'd go with an 8X10 (or larger) and a drum scanner.

5: With the newest and best cameras -and with post processing- digital.

6: Digital, that is where my greatest investment is. Plus I don't have a wet darkroom.

7: Too much freedom and it's too easy to blast away. Serendipity is a great and wonderful thing but planning and being sure of your own philosophies are more likely to keep body and soul together.

Also, there is no winder noise with digital. (the sense of satisfaction and finality when you feel and hear the rewinding of a roll of film)

8: Speed, expense, not having control of how my photos turn out.

9: It depends on the circumstance. My taking a photo of a bride and groom saying "I Do" has far less meaning than their saying their vows.

My setting a table for a still life has far more meaning than some fruit and candle sticks hanging out on a slab of wood.

10: Instant gratification from digital.

Film? Film can say no.

Last edited:

Tough to beat a digital p&s, assuming of course that you have a 'puter. Absent a 'puter, the difference between d & f p&s decreases.

2.Do you believe digital or film is more reliable and get the job done better? Why?

Reliability of archive-quality film and print is well-eatablished. Digital is still up for grabs. [8-track, anyone? How about listening to a wire recording?]

PS: Which specific job?

No. 'Artistic value' should be defined in such a way as to be free from the medium or you can get into a 'music is more artistic than painting' brouhaha.

Depends on how much you wish to pay. How expensive a digital rig would you need to equal the 'quality' of an 8x10 film negative enlarged to, say, 40" x 50"?

For a newbee, digital with its 'instant check' ability beats film every time.

If pressed, film, please. But please note that I work in b&w -- and have a darkroom.

Sometimes something quite off-the-beaten-track, such as the pleasure to be derived from using an old 35mm rangefinder as a 'street' rig with the feeling of 'one-ness' with the pioneers in the genre the experience engenders.

Convenience.

To me, creating a picture is a matter of composition. The tool used, whether d or f, 35mm or 6x6 or 8x10, wa or tele, prime or zoom, is secondary.

Both can provide acceptable finished pictures. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

Last edited:
ctrl c + ctrl v + reedit = instant project, yay!
luckily my class doesn't make us do that kind of project. lol

Film photography and digital photography are all based on principles relating to the characteristics of light. There are functions and settings that need to be made on the cameras in order to work with light. One needs to know how to adjust shuter speed, aperture, film speed ratings and others in order to be able to successfully capture their subject.

2. Do you believe digital or film is more reliable and get the job done better, why?

It is rather the photographer that gets the job done, not the equipment at their disposal. Film or digital, really makes little difference. The photographer need only be familiar with and proficient in the use of it.

The quality of art is best left to the historians. But if you're looking for that 'film look' . . .

8x10 or smaller, no difference. Bigger, a properly focused negative hands down.

Digital cameras have their quirks. Different films react differently to various lighting situations. BE FAMILIAR WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT.

I am a film photographer. Which means that I shoot primarily film and digital does have its place in my workflow. First, film cameras are what I was given. Then film was what I could afford. Now film has grown on me and I could no longer turn my back on film photography than I could promise to never pick up a camera again.

Not around in 1987 when I really began to get serious about photography. That's why I started with film.

Film won't wind on into my cell phone.

This one would get too preachy.

10.What is your favorite thing digital can do and film can not,

Recycle bin

or what is your favorite thing film can do and digital can not?

Not go ablaze when you pour acid on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back