Need some help :)

stacy85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to this and am finally starting to learn how to take great pictures--the thing is, i am completely overwhelmed by everything there is to know about taking professional looking photos! I have always loved taking pictures. When I finally got my first 'real' camera :)..i wanted to take it to a whole new level. I have a canon rebel t3i. Where do I even start trying to learn all there is to know? I love pictures that look like this [http://www.flickr.com/photos/yosigo/4670815511/in/photostream/]. Is that done with editing or is it just taken by a camera the right way? I have a one year old daughter and love taking pictures of her-just want to understand how and what to look for when I take the pics.

Sorry if my post doesn't make much sense--that's how much help I need :)

Thanks!

The key to professional looking photos is good composition and use of light.

All journeys start at the beginning, and progress one step at a time. You will not likely be making professional looking photos tomorrow, or next month, but you could be a year from today.

Last edited:
Welcome to the fun world of photography.

I feel much the same way as you do :D and I've been doing this for 5 years as a hobby (taking about 20k pics a year).

Your photo stream isn't working :( At least the link to it isn't! I would love to see some of your pictures!

I think the basics you can start with are things like ISO, shutter speed, exposure, white balance, aperture (depth of field), etc. Those all play a role in how your photo is exposed and developed. First and foremost, learn your camera and lens inside and out. Do you have the 18-55mm kit lens? That's what came with my T1i. For being a kit lens, I think it does a fairly decent job. It's the only lens I've shot with outside of borrowing a friend's 70-300mm lens (don't recommend getting it however).

I would not expect yourself to take professional looking photos right away. The reason I say that is because they are professional looking for a reason...because they were taken by a professional with experience to back them. With that said, you can still learn new stuff to take some really good quality, near-professional looking photos.

Another thing that it is never the camera, always the photographer...something you will hear around here a lot. Some people have a really natural eye and know what to look for...others don't but can learn. No matter which person you are, you will learn and grow and get better and better. I feel so overwhelmed because I see these amazing photos here and I want to be able to photograph like that. Usually I am told that my photos are amazing (not just from friends and family) but coming here, you get down to the real nitty gritty. The great thing is, the folks here offer great advice and don't look down on you for the way you photograph so I say, bring on the photos and they will help you take them better.

I just bought a set of very cheap reflectors from Amazon...cost me a whole 8 dollars... Amazon.com: 22" 60CM Portable 5 in 1 Translucent, Silver, Gold, White, and Black Collapsible Round Multi Disc Light Reflector for Studio or any Photography Situation!: Camera & Photo and although they are not professional grade or anything, my photos have already improved with them.

Another thing I'd suggest is saving up for a Speedlite Flash for your camera (although the folks here might have a better idea). That way, you're not just relying on your itty bitty not so nice camera flash for indoor stuff.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your photos! Don't beat yourself up...and don't compare yourself to people who take the wonderful pictures...they didn't take them on their first try, and were in the same position you are at one time.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want to get photos that look the way they do in that photostream, shoot film. That's what they're using. Not what I'd call professional work, but they have some nice compositions.

You'll also need a Donosti ..or a Hondarribia.

Thanks for the responses :) I understand that I will not be taking the greatest pictures right away, that's why I came on here. I just want to educate myself and know where to start. As I'm reading, though, it seems like there is always something new to learn. About the picture I included with my last post, I love that kind of coloring. It just looks refreshing--it's not what I was wanting to photograph though. I really want to some day get into photographing children and families. I just wanted to know where to start educating myself about the whole process. Thanks again! :)

This is a hobby for me but I'm attending the local University's certification program and its a blast. Maybe there is one in your area:

Core Courses
  • Photography Introduction
  • Photography Intermediate
  • Studio Lighting Introduction
  • Business Essentials for Photographers
  • Digital Image Management
  • Studio Lighting Advanced

Your first link still shows a page that says...

"[h=1]This is not the page you're looking for.[/h]It looks like you're trying to see something in Yosigo's photostream.
Here are his most recent uploads... "

The second link contains many images that are overexposed to the point that detail in the skin is gone. The white balance is also very blue. Most likely some post was done to soften skin. If that's something you're after, it's easy enough.

Sorry about that link, it doesn't come up on my computer anymore either. But I love the way the color is in his pictures. As to the second link...how do you soften skin? I am using GIMP since I'm just starting to learn everything (can't wait to purchase photoshop eventually). Any tips would be great! And for the eyes, is that process done by dodge/burn or contrast/brightness/unsharp mask? Not sure if you can tell. Thank you! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back