Need some microphone advice

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been shooting a lot more video projects lately as there has been a demand for it within my business and I'm having some issues getting decent quality sound. Right now I'm using an inexpensive wireless mic (ShopBLT.com: Sima Wireless Microphone For Digital Camcorders) and I'm getting a lot hissing sound from it. I was thinking of possibly getting a shotgun mic and I was told unless you're about 3 feet away from your subject they don't work super well. I'm trying to find a cheap solution (under $100) to getting some nice sound for recording on my D600. I was doing some research and a few people were recommending I may get the best quality by recording the sound directly into an audio recorder and then layering it on the video in post production. What do you guys recommend?

Here's an example of a video I shot with my current setup. As you can see, there's quite a bit of hissing and I'm trying to eliminate this as much as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually find cheap Lav mics have this problem, it seems to be a massive leap from a 100 dollar mic to a 600 dollar mic.
but these are the issues. I would suggest getting an older zoom recorder, you can get them pretty cheap, and run the lav mic to that and clip it on the subjects belt in the back.
Then replace the audio in post. Just some stuff I had to do to get by.

The only decent quality lav mic I've seen in your price range is the rode smartlav
RØDE Microphones - smartLav

The way it works is it plugs into your smart phone and you use the phone to record the audio and then sync it in postproduction on the computer. The app they have for the iPhone gives you control over various recording settings and file compression.

I keep an old iPhone around to use with the smartlav.

Also listening to the video I think the issue is that you haven't set things up proerly. Either the mic is too far away, not strong enough or the levels are not set correctly. Normally when you are getting hiss its because the mic is trying to hard to pick up the sound. Think of it as a noisy high ISO photo.

Hi there Restomage.

As stated by a few other folks above, I use the Rode Lavalier Microphone to record audio onto my iPhone and then mix in the audio in postproduction (a simple clap makes it easier to sync).

These Rode Smartlav setups do have some hiss/noise also, but not as bad as your video that you posted. Although, they do hiss if the levels are not set correctly. Equally, get too keen with the levels and you'll endure clipping...

Here's a review video I made using the Rode Lavalier and Smart Lav app on an iPhone; not brilliant, but for the money it's not bad either...

Renault Sport Clio 182 Review - Budget Drivers Car - Buyer's Guide

Your video, because of the sound is unwatchable, would never make it throug the end, and will never actually accep that if I had to pay for your services.

Buy A basic kit that would fit your needs

Wired version : Not recommend, but something like this

Buy this combo
Wireless mic : This one
Recorder : this one

You know what we say in the sound world, audio cost as much as the video, but nobody wants to pay for sound until they realize its not there or that it just sucks ( like you right now ). We are used to hear good sound, good sound dont stand out, only poor sound does.

Never buy a wired mic, its a pain in the ass on the shooting day, on wide shot we see the wire, the recorder is far from you .... everybody forgets it and walk away still plugged and smash your recorder down .... its pure **** .... Do yourself a favor please go wireless from the start.

Your still way under 1k and you will produce crystal clear sound, and guess what. Sound is not like your DSLR, riment that this kit will last at least 10 years and will mostly never be outdated for a new technology. Sound is the same as 10 years ago ...

Your right about boom, you would need a good one ( over 1k only for the mic ) and then you would need to place it correctly ( close to the dude ), you would need someone to boom correctly and a mixer to ajust the gain on the go when your booming. So for now ...a good lav will get you a wayyyyy better sound for less money. Forget the boom for your set-up

And guess what again ! with this kit you can upgrade later and add more stuff to your sound arsenal, no need to replace cheap stuff later ( like you have now ) that dosent work or just sound terrible when you will get a nice lucrative contract you will be ready. See the rode and Iphone trick, never do that on a set when money or a client is involved, would you record your video on a Ipad app ( please say no ).

The senhiser little lav mic is the pro standarts, well the low-medium pro standarts
I used to be a sound guy for 2-3 years for a living, that was my kit for small docu and corporative shoot. Maybe one day you will reach this point, but by buying just the recorder and 1 good lav your starting on the right foot.

Dont buy the lav used, never ( its small and could have been smash, wire twisted, connection problem )

For the recorder, its 199, is you can find it under 120 used go for it but if not buy it new.

44481_10151502654442995_1754087202_n.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back