Need some opinions

modlife

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just started working out my website and want to know if you think the worn/folded look takes away from the picture quality. Does it make you want to click through to the "good" stuff, or think immediately that we're not talented? Should I go with black bg/white borders and no effects - just quality photos? or do you like it how it is? It links to a simpleviewer gallery, a contact form, and simple html info page until I finish my whole flash site.

Here's the front page of the new site:

http://www.bellasorrisa.com

Thanks for your input

I think the front page looks kinda cool and different. Once inside the website, though, it's not clear what kind of work you do, it looks like a little bit of everything with no specialty. I mean, if I'm looking for a wedding photographer, I want one who does pretty much only weddings, since I know they will be focused on that kind of work.

Also when I clicked on "People", I got a Page Not Found error message.

Other than that, it looks like a nice site!

Thanks - yeah, I'm actually still working on the site; hoping to finish today.

As far as specialty, I decided to build the site and then update the gallery page as I do specific shoots. Everything I have to date was taken with old equipment and I feel like having the new gear and experience will help me tailor the gallery as the work comes to me. I booked my first wedding consultation today, so hopefully that turns into something, but overall I just decided to jump into business. In 2 months I've already booked more than a few shoots and gotten a few referrals - so it can be done!

I like it quite a bit. The only thing I would change would be the section titled Macro. Most prospective clients won't know what that means and it may just be a category that fits into other categories you already have. Just $.02 worth. Otherwise I really like it.

I'm looking for a good web designer or some really good web design software for my own site. I already made the base up in Illustrator any suggestions?

I'm looking for a good web designer or some really good web design software for my own site. I already made the base up in Illustrator any suggestions?

Photoshop and dreamweaver is the easiest. If you have them, just PM me if you have any questions building a simple site. As for galleries, it was a pain getting simpleviewer to load right but I can give you some tips. Maybe I'll write a tutorial on that...

As for selling prints, I'm working out the shopping cart details but decided on linking to collages.net for now

As for the suggestion, I agree that the gallery page needs work - I basically threw that together as a template that I'll work on over the next couple weeks.

I like the overall look there are a few things I would tweak, on the galleries page I would spread the photos out a little more as is they seem a little bunched and the text is pushing on the overlapping photo. I would also use a different photo for your macro. I would also include prices instead of just call or email us option. This just saves a lot of calls and emails of people that would never pay your fees and saves you the headache of always explaining why you charge what you do.
These are just my suggestions.
Cheers

I like the overall look there are a few things I would tweak, on the galleries page I would spread the photos out a little more as is they seem a little bunched and the text is pushing on the overlapping photo. I would also use a different photo for your macro. I would also include prices instead of just call or email us option. This just saves a lot of calls and emails of people that would never pay your fees and saves you the headache of always explaining why you charge what you do.
These are just my suggestions.
Cheers

Thanks - I agree on the pricing issue, I just honestly still don't know where to set prices. This is my first attempt at taking photography to a more professional level. To date I feel I've "paid my dues" with 13 years amateur experience and a handful of paid jobs...

Thanks - I agree on the pricing issue, I just honestly still don't know where to set prices. This is my first attempt at taking photography to a more professional level. To date I feel I've "paid my dues" with 13 years amateur experience and a handful of paid jobs...
Pricing is very difficult The only advice I can give is check out your local market. Next is see how much money you have to make to return your investment and purchase replacement with in the life span of the equipment.
Cameras for example I put on a two year purchase that means I buy my main bodies and two years later those get moved to backups and new bodies are purchased keeping my backups in the three to for year range. That is longer then some but it is the only way I can justify the expense. so in 4 years time I have to earn enough to cover all those bodies plus two more for my next purchase. I put every piece of equipment on a schedule like that. Then set pricing accordingly and if I need to make money my self it is added on at that time to set my income.

I really like your intro page. Has a very creative feel. makes me want to check out your site. Inside the only thing I do not really care for is the gray menu bar with the heavy shadow. Seems a bit distracting to me, but that is just one man's opinion. As far as your galleries go, I set up mine the exact same way with simpleviewer. I removed the black frame however and added a logo. If you want to see on of my galleries, here is a link. I feel it works very well and fairly easy without need much web design exp.

Funky looking intro page.
Site loads quickly and the text is clear and easy to read,which is very important.
The site overall looks clean.

I see that you repeat your phone and email on the right hand side of all pages. Any chance on making your email clickable to open a new email with the address already there? if someone is browsing and loves what they see, having quick access to the email would be great. Not that finding the Contact section is hard or anything, just a random thought.

Looking at the Services page is similar to your Gallery page and i was wanting to click on the various section to see examples of each section. I dunno, I do need more cafeine so might just be me. :)

Overall, nice job

I would not use the same font for body text as you do your logo ... it makes the body text hard to read.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back