~ Need some suggestions/advice for a fun project I wish to do w/my daughter ~

esselle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter has taken up boxing; she's 17. Boxing-boxing...like real deal sparring kind of boxing.
This was my face when she first told me she wished to do this >>> :shock:

But, she has an amazing coach, who takes good care of her, has taught her a lot.

Recently, she bought herself a bright blue pair of boxing gloves. BRIGHT blue. :mrgreen:
I thought, what fun it would be to take some action shots of her while she works out, and also some fun shots while she's wearing the gloves.

I was thinking a combination of serious athletic shots, but then some laughing/softer shots. (all while wearing her boxing stuff)

I was also thinking of this being in black and white, but her gloves only, appearing as they are, in blue. I've been doing some research as to how to achieve this effect. Not quite sure how that might turn out. Just getting back into photography, there's much I don't know.

Just wondering ....if this was your project...a 'boxer,' how might you shoot this? TIA for any thoughts and ideas...much appreciated!

Any of us might have ideas, but the creative ideas need to come from you.

I realize some people do selective color, but it seldom works as well as you imagine.

I say try it, but don't be surprised if it isn't universally appreciated.

That's interesting, about the selective color. I'll have to give it a whirl -- if it cheapens the overall pic, then I'd have to omit it. In my mind's eye, it seems very appealing right now, however. We shall see! :)

Thank you, Designer!

The problem with selective color is that the selectively colored item is rarely the actual subject of the photo - so all it does is draw the eye away from the subject.

The situation you describe seems to me to be an example of that.

The problem with selective color is that the selectively colored item is rarely the actual subject of the photo - so all it does is draw the eye away from the subject.

The situation you describe seems to me to be an example of that.

ah ha! yes. my daughter is the 'subject' of the photo...sooo, the gloves would draw the attention away.
This is why I posted this. Because you will all save me some time. lol

I know this might sound idk...a bit foolish, but...i'm thinking of the selective color in the film Schindler's List. The little girl with the reddish coat, as she runs throught he crowd, and Schindler keeps eyeing her. It was a very poignant move on the part of the director of that film. But, maybe with moving film, it comes off different than a still shot.

I do plan to post the project here, for you all to see and critique. I'm hopeful it turns out as planned.

Thank you kindly, for your advice.

never could get to grips with those things.
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

hi naonran...only red 'x's' are showing in your post.

If it were me I would go another route.. maybe break out the flash with a slower shutter and try to get something like a sharp shot of the boxer with nice blurry glove in swing.. Following her in some bag work would be a great place to experiment. just thinkin..

She doesn't happen to have blue eyes does she?

If so, tight crop of face with selective color eyes (with boosted saturation) + gloves held up near chin might work without distracting from the subject.

If it were me I would go another route.. maybe break out the flash with a slower shutter and try to get something like a sharp shot of the boxer with nice blurry glove in swing.. Following her in some bag work would be a great place to experiment. just thinkin..
(Be sure to use "rear curtain flash" if doing this!)

atavar, that's a great idea! ...her glove 'in motion.'

i'm going to take some 'tester' shots at home with her tomorrow...
she trains at a gym, that has a boxing ring...i'm pretty sure her coach would let me take pics of her sparring him during one of their lessons. that would be cool to have her coach in some of the pics, too.

i'm still very much a novice, but excited to give this project a try.
possiblities are endless. :)

very much appreciate the advice!

@ Gavjenks...yes, she does have blue eyes. Seriously...What a wonderful suggestion!
I'm excited now to try these ideas out!

We were supposed to start on it tonight...but she offered to babysit for a neighbor.

She also suggested that I take some shots of her skateboarding...as she's very into 'tricks' now, and such. lol I'm not good with taking pics of people in motion...so we shall see how this goes! I guess I need to just keep practicing in certain areas...I tend to avoid that which I'm not good at. :blushing:

If so, tight crop of face with selective color eyes (with boosted saturation) [...]

I have to respectfully disagree here...

EVERYONE does this, and it feels like an overused gimmick to me. If anything, I would tone it way down - just that the eyes are colored will draw attention to them - they don't have to be "glow in the dark zombie eyes". Just a hint of color is all you need, IMO. The more subtle, the better. You'll get the selective colored effect without looking like everyone else.

Just saying... Try both and see what you think.

If so, tight crop of face with selective color eyes (with boosted saturation) [...]

EVERYONE does this, and it feels like an overused gimmick to me. If anything, I would tone it way down - just that the eyes are colored will draw attention to them - they don't have to be "glow in the dark zombie eyes". Just a hint of color is all you need, IMO. The more subtle, the better. You'll get the selective colored effect without looking like everyone else.

Yes...I'll experiment and see how it turns out. Thanks for your help, really.
As I'm sitting here thinking about the subtle technical touches...I'm really wondering now WHERE to shoot this. Where it will have the best background, least distractions. My garage where she practices her boxing, is a mess.

And no...I'm not cleaning it for this! :}

A gym would probably be ideal.

If you do it in the garage, try using a large-ish aperture to blur the background, or hang up a few sheets or something to hide the most distracting stuff. But, you know, do it in a way so that it doesn't look like you just hung up some sheets to hide a bunch of junk, lol.

A gym would probably be ideal.

If you do it in the garage, try using a large-ish aperture to blur the background, or hang up a few sheets or something to hide the most distracting stuff. But, you know, do it in a way so that it doesn't look like you just hung up some sheets to hide a bunch of junk, lol.

lol, right!

oh my, this is becoming WORK. lol
:}

ty for the thoughts, advice and help everyone!

Normally I would be with you on that, if it were just her eyes being colored only.

However, with big bright blue plasticy gloves also being colored in the shot, I was simply concerned that subtle, un-boosted eyes might go entirely unnoticed by comparison.

Most reactions

Back