need to know whats a good camera

NuBbZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey whats up guys im new here and kinda new to photography. i want to take it to the next level . i currently have a fujifilm 4.1 mp camera . my price range is around 200-250 $$ thanks for the help

Are you going digital or film?

If you're going digital, (from what I've seen) you won't be able to touch a decent SLR for under MAYBE $500 used. Even on Ebay I had trouble finding older DSLRS under $700.

So, I went film and bought a camera body (Canon EOS 650 in near mint condition), a Canon 50mm 1:18 lens, a bag for the equipment, film, a monopod (I meant to get a tripod, but accidentally got a mono without knowing the difference) all for under $300. The bad thing is there is constant cost with buying and developing film (although, you can cut some of this if you develop your own), but that is the only major downfall for me. I'm new to SLR photography and changing ISO isn't something I've experiemented with (which is something you can do on the fly with digital, as opposed to film, where you have to change the whole roll (for a 35mm), but I enjoy my camera. A lot.

I'm not well versed in gear to give you advice or know all the stuff to have a digital vs. film debate, but it's up to you and what you want to do and how much you photograph. With film, the more you do it, the more expensive it gets, obviously.

I'll let the more experienced give you more sound adivce...

i agree with weaving wax that at this budget you will not get anything decent in digital.....depends on how you define "good"....what is your expectation....i have a canon a75 that i dont use anymore and i would consider it being a very nice P&S.....and for sure you can get it for under $200....but would you want something so old?....it is only 3.2MP....but the result is very nice.......matter of preference

well i would liek to stick with digital i just bought a new hp photo printer and i liek how digital is some much easier to work with . i really dont know much about camera i thought the higher the mp the better . i was shooting for liek an 8 mp to upgrade from my 4.1 camera which i think is just for snap shots . but to film cams i have a minolta srt200 with a 72mm jc penny lense and the stock 49mm lense if that makes any sense lie i said dont know much kinda new to this . i just want to upgrade from my fujiflim a345 4.1 mp to somethign better

Film is a good way to go for high quality at a low price. Shooting & learning isn't free, but it really makes you think about what you're doing.

If you really want to go digital, you might look on ebay for a clean, used Canon Digital Rebel. (the original one)

If you wouldn't mind going film, I have a very nice EOS 620 + 35-70 lens for sale. (see for sale forum)

at your price range....higher resolution isnt necessary better......resolution and quality are different if the sensor used in the cameras are different.....you can have a camera with very high resolution but crappy sensor...and the resulting image can be very bad.........if you are already using 4.1MP....i think you should be satisfied with that....unless you are willing to invest more $$$ to buy something really better...otherwise.....i would save up a larger sum before thinking about upgrading....to buy a new P&S...i would save up about 350-450

You might want to stick with fujifilm for just now, I used a fuji A330 and later upgraded to the S7000 and have now changed up to a Canon EOS 20D. I found using a camera with a similar layout let me learn faster, more techniques without thinking: "Umm... is this the right button? Change the apeture? Let me think... Damn that would have been a good shot... Ah got the apeture... Ooh another good shot missed..."
Having a camera that you're used to helps alot Maybe the FujiFilm finepix S9500 or the S6500 would be a good bridge to an SLR. It might be better to go all out and get a D-SLR. It could save you money in the long run. I don't know what would be better there though...

Why don't you just wait and save up for a DSLR it's probably what you will want in the end as you will want to progress.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back