What's new

Need your comments

milinda

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 14, 2012
Messages
29
Reaction score
3
Location
Colombo
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys,

Would like to know your comments on this shot. Is it crap or ...?
 

Attachments

  • $DSC_0117 - Copy (2000x1325).webp
    $DSC_0117 - Copy (2000x1325).webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 158
I am not feeling it.
 
It's severely underexposed and the dueling water drops are splitting your attention which just draws from the overall impact of the image.
 
It's severely underexposed and the dueling water drops are splitting your attention which just draws from the overall impact of the image.

In terms of exposure I checked from the light meter in the camera and it tells me the exposure is right, probably because you have the sky at the back ground. What I tried to do was to capture rain drops falling from the roof. So what do you suggest? What areas I need to improve. I'm new to the subject and like to learn.
 
Waiting for more C&C
 
Abstracts are fiendishly hard to judge, and not something TPF is any good at. Mostly people here stick to technical critique, and with abstracts you have no idea what's intended and what's a mistake, so technical critique is pretty pointless. You got some stuff in focus, and arguably you got good things in focus. So, there's that. Onwards to the more artistic critique:

It "feels" dark, regardless of what the camera's meter says. That's not a good thing, or a bad thing, it's just a true thing. Maybe you want it to feel dark, maybe you don't. Anyways. It feels dark.

There's basically three lines in this, the horizontal line of the silhouetted object from which water is dripping, and the two lines of water droplets. All of them are skewed from horizontal or vertical. Again, this isn't good or bad, it's just true.

The only other thing going on in here that I see if the indistinct image in the largest water drop, which gives a little sense of "other things" around that we cannot see.

Other than that, this is a very very simple image. So we have a dark image with some skewed lines. The skew of the lines might create an uneasy feeling, and feeling of unresolved tension -- of "wrongness" but not in the "this is a bad photograph" sense just the "something is misaligned/tipping/tilting/falling". The darkness definitely supports an uneasy feeling, as does the indistinct and thus mysterious image in the water droplet.

So, were you going for an abstract image that creates a mildly uneasy sensation? If that's what you wanted, you got it. Well done!

If you were going for something else.. you missed! What could you do differently to create the reaction/feeling/idea you were going for? What did you feel/think when you saw this thing, and did you want to re-create that?
 
I have made basically this SAME, exact image before, many frames of it in fact. I used to have a pretty clogged up rain gutter on one eve. I would not worry too much about criticisms of underexposure. It is what it is.
 
I like it in some sense. I wouldn't mind it on a wall.

I sort of see it as one of those images that just reflects whatever feeling you have at the moment. There are uneasy elements, as amolitor noted, but there are relaxing elements too. Water as a subject tends to be relaxing. The continuous lines are soothing. The pure simplicity can be soothing. I'd say its a simple image, but with enough emotive ambiguity to be satisfying.
 
Abstracts are fiendishly hard to judge, and not something TPF is any good at. Mostly people here stick to technical critique, and with abstracts you have no idea what's intended and what's a mistake, so technical critique is pretty pointless. You got some stuff in focus, and arguably you got good things in focus. So, there's that. Onwards to the more artistic critique:

It "feels" dark, regardless of what the camera's meter says. That's not a good thing, or a bad thing, it's just a true thing. Maybe you want it to feel dark, maybe you don't. Anyways. It feels dark.

There's basically three lines in this, the horizontal line of the silhouetted object from which water is dripping, and the two lines of water droplets. All of them are skewed from horizontal or vertical. Again, this isn't good or bad, it's just true.

The only other thing going on in here that I see if the indistinct image in the largest water drop, which gives a little sense of "other things" around that we cannot see.

Other than that, this is a very very simple image. So we have a dark image with some skewed lines. The skew of the lines might create an uneasy feeling, and feeling of unresolved tension -- of "wrongness" but not in the "this is a bad photograph" sense just the "something is misaligned/tipping/tilting/falling". The darkness definitely supports an uneasy feeling, as does the indistinct and thus mysterious image in the water droplet.

So, were you going for an abstract image that creates a mildly uneasy sensation? If that's what you wanted, you got it. Well done!

If you were going for something else.. you missed! What could you do differently to create the reaction/feeling/idea you were going for? What did you feel/think when you saw this thing, and did you want to re-create that?

Thanks for the comment. Yes I was looking for a artistic comment rather than a technical one. I was going for a abstract one but I didn't felt an uneasyness in it, but I agree with you since the artistic taste is different from one to another. I felt there is calmness in it with highlighting water from everything else and the natural flow of the drops.

Thanks for the encouraging comment
 
I have made basically this SAME, exact image before, many frames of it in fact. I used to have a pretty clogged up rain gutter on one eve. I would not worry too much about criticisms of underexposure. It is what it is.

Thanks and good to hear that. I also feels darkness is good if it looks nice.
 
I like it in some sense. I wouldn't mind it on a wall.

I sort of see it as one of those images that just reflects whatever feeling you have at the moment. There are uneasy elements, as amolitor noted, but there are relaxing elements too. Water as a subject tends to be relaxing. The continuous lines are soothing. The pure simplicity can be soothing. I'd say its a simple image, but with enough emotive ambiguity to be satisfying.

Many thanks for the comment. I felt more or less the same about it. Thanks
 
I am not sure whether it belongs to the class of abstract since there is nothing hidden or ambiguous etc. The roof edge could have been straightened; the tilt is shouting in the way in which the drops are falling. I am not repudiating the image, but i feel it is weak. I am waiting for your wonderful shots ;)
With sincere expectations :D
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom