Need Your Help! What should i do? Legit Or Not!

sexxxy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
edited

Last edited:
Don't know what country your in but i'm pretty sure handling stolen goods is illegal in the UK whether you know it to be stolen or not.

Maybe you could hand it into a police station anonymously, with a note attached or something.

You could ask yourself how you know that the photos are "no where related to this guy i purchased it from", when you just said, "Not knowing who im purchasing it from".

Just saying.

its a nikon d200, and i payed 450$ for it, and the photos on the secondary card where of a white family, and the person i bought it from was Indian. Just a thought?

its a nikon d200, and i payed 450$ for it, and the photos on the secondary card where of a white family, and the person i bought it from was Indian. Just a thought?
Wow...uh...yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was stolen. Used D200's go for almost double that and then there's the Indian guy / white family thing. Ouch.

the money i used to purchase it was the money i was saving for the rebel xsi. :(, i have no job so it was kinda a good deal. i was thinking of taking it to the station but i wouldnt get any of my savings back :(. i checked my local craigslist and newspaper website to see if anyone was missing a d200. Nothing came up, i feel so bad for the original owner, i have a feeling this guy brought it from somewhere else, because the indian guy just moved here. But who knows, maybe the original owner also stole it? im just trying to make my self feel better with dumb excuses lol. i love this camera and i wanted to get into photography, but it was a big mistake. But anything on ebay and craigslist can be stolen right? Idk what to do, any help?

Perhaps you could contact the police and ask if that camera (with serial number) has been reported stolen. That would seem a reasonable and responsible way to attempt to track down the owner, if it is indeed stolen.
If that doens't turn up anything, will that be enough to satiate your guilty feelings?

thats a good idea, but what if it is stolen and they want me to come in to the station or something? track my number? i dont know how that works im only 17 lol

Unfortunately, the law is really stupid in this regard. If you are in possession of stolen goods, even if you don't know it, you can be charged.

If you want to try to do the right thing and not get in trouble yourself call from a pay phone if there are any left in the city. Then if it does come up stolen drop it off anonymously and call this a learning experience. If you really want to clear yourself though. Good luck and sorry to hear you might loose out on some cash for this.

Tell the police the situation. Tell them what you suspect and see if they have any recommendations. They will probably take the camera, and see if they can find the origional owner. After some searching if they can't find the owners they will probably give the camera back to you.
On the other hand they may ask you where you bought the camera, and if you don't give them that information they may charge you with theft. That is a serious downer. So.. I guess, let your conscience be your guide.

i may try calling the police station from skype. Maybe tahts better then going to an actual payphone. What you guys think. And if i did get charged how much you think it would be?

A horrible mark on your permanent record. The camera costs over $1000 so that is a felony theft charge... I think, if I remember right. And so even though you are a minor you might get jail time. My best suggestion is, is that if you purchased the camera from someone tell the police where you got it, and let them take it from there. There is no reason for you to get charged with a crime that you did not commit. Because employers frown on theft. Even if it is a bogus charge.

omg thats not good! but anything on craigslist can be bought and it can be stolen right? do people get in trouble for that

Most reactions

Back