Need Your Help! What should i do? Legit Or Not!

I honestly hate getting the police involved with stuff...Then you have to deal with legal crap, and not reasonable solutions.

Sheesh, just because of the price of a used camera, everyone is suggesting to send it to the police, some without a return address?

The price of something used is not an indication of legit or stolen. It would be a shame for the person it was stolen from if it turned out that way, but that isn't the purchaser's fault. Why give up what you paid for just because it may or may not have been stolen? 100% of everything purchased used has the possibility of being stolen. There is no way of knowing it was stolen or not.

I guess no one should ever purchase anything used.

mrodgers - it was not the price, but the finding of photos of a family (not the seller's family) on the card sold with the camera which along with the cheap price lead to the possible conclusion that the camera had been stolen

No, I think you should take it to the police and let them handle the situation. That is what they are trained to do. You are thinking like a 17 year old, who is more concerned about friends, rather than the person he or she might have stole from. If your friend did something illegal he or she needs to pay the price. It's not up to you to decide.

So far, this is the only advice that reflects common sense and personal integrity in this thread.

Go to the police and tell them what you suspect and why. Tell them everything you can about who you bought it from.

Grow-up. Grow a spine. Show that you can handle a weird situation with honesty, integrity, and self-respect.

Chances are the police will check, find it isn't stolen, pat you on the head for being a good citizen, and you'll have the camera and a good feeling.

You said it was a friend of a friend that you don't really know anything about so...?

i really didnt want the police involved because of it leading to my friends, who knows where it came from. and it is true, sending a camera in anonymously because i have a suspicion its stolen is kinda ridiculous. considering i paid for it?

Just to add a further thought, and I know the US market is different, but local research over the last day or so has turned up...... there are a number of perfectly legit secondhand camera shops here in KL, where I could find you any number of secondhand Nikon D300's for a list price of RM5000 (ish), which equates to around $US 410. Strangely, D2X's are around the same price. Once you've finished the haggling, you could get any of those for around RM4000 - around $US 330. Secondhand D200s are around RM3500 list, so around RM 2900, say around $US290.

I'd say that also casts doubt onto the stolen status of the camera.

Just my two pennerth.

And yes, I am now actively considering a D2x or D300.......

i really didnt want the police involved because of it leading to my friends, who knows where it came from. and it is true, sending a camera in anonymously because i have a suspicion its stolen is kinda ridiculous. considering i paid for it?

Don't do it anonymously. Grow up. Take some personal responsibility. Stop putting your friends first. Put the yourself and doing the right thing first. Show that you have the integrity to call the police non-emergency number, describe the situation, give all relevant details about why you think it may be stolen and why you think that it may be stolen and WHO YOU BOUGHT IT FROM. All of the details.

Give your name, age, phone number, and address. They'll likely tell you that they'll pass your information on to the correct area and that a detective may be contacting you.

Show that you have some personal integrity and do the right thing.

If your friends are thieves, you need better friends. Show some self-respect and start hanging out with a better class of people.

Most of all, learn the proper use of italics and bolding. It makes your posts difficult to read.

Quite right. You only need to inform the authorities that you have it and the details of it. You don't need to hand it over until they ask for it.

mrodgers - it was not the price, but the finding of photos of a family (not the seller's family) on the card sold with the camera which along with the cheap price lead to the possible conclusion that the camera had been stolen
Right! I forgot about that point.

So, are you saying that I should delete the photos of my aunt and grandmother's visit because my aunt is the legal guardian of her stepdaughter's black children because I am white? I guess my camera must have been stolen as well because I have photos of a family that is clearly not my family.

[OT]Indeed, it was quite comical them being from the city (Pittsburgh) and I am out in the country in the middle of nowhere. I asked them if they still wanted to cook the hotdogs on the fire or cook them inside. They had a blast standing out in the rain cooking hotdogs and making s'mores, soaking wet, LOL. Rain and s'mores made from graham crackers do not mix at all... but they ate them all anyways :D[/OT]

Chances are the police will check, find it isn't stolen, pat you on the head for being a good citizen, and you'll have the camera and a good feeling.

This isn't "Leave it to Beaver" , keyboard warrior, police don't do that.

Even though the camera should be turned over to the police somehow, the OP is not going to be look at as some innocent bystander. how are the police going to check if a camera is stolen anyways? Its not a car.

If the original owner reported it stolen with the serial number then they can know otherwise it should be in the clear.

haha it is true, there's no need for the police to be called if its just a suspicion, again. I live in California where police wont just pat you on the head here, they will probably tazer me half to death just for fun... :p. My only big concern was the price, and im not going to give up my freind for finding this camera for me, right thing or not i have known him for most of my life and hes been my right hand man. And im sure any of you would report your own brother to the police if he stole something? Same situation here, my freinds are pretty much family! :). But wherever my friend found the guy wasnt up to me, im just the buyer. I was just trying to find the owner over the internet if its possible. If not i just have to move on.

thats a good idea, but what if it is stolen and they want me to come in to the station or something? track my number? i dont know how that works im only 17 lol
Call on a payphone that way they cant trace you back. If it is stolen get your money back and, if they are only the friend of a friend, I wouldnt care what people thought I would report them. I have never tolerated theives, they will eventually steal from you too.

would report your own brother to the police if he stole something?.

If he stole a D200 I sure as hell would. If he stole something to survive no. If he is a douchebag and decides he has to steal for ****s and giggles he needs to learn something from it. I wouldn't associate with someone that would steal like that.

haha it is true, there's no need for the police to be called if its just a suspicion, again. I live in California where police wont just pat you on the head here, they will probably tazer me half to death just for fun... :p. My only big concern was the price, and im not going to give up my freind for finding this camera for me, right thing or not i have known him for most of my life and hes been my right hand man. And im sure any of you would report your own brother to the police if he stole something? Same situation here, my freinds are pretty much family! :). But wherever my friend found the guy wasnt up to me, im just the buyer. I was just trying to find the owner over the internet if its possible. If not i just have to move on.

why can't you just get a refund from the guy who sold it to you? then just buy your new XSI.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back