Needing opinions (Montezuma's Well, Az)

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, "Disclaimer" so I might have some editing issues. I always tried to get out of camera and refused to get Ps. I realized that its kinda a must but I have just been playing around with it ..still i guess. So with that admitted I picked up a new body this weekend. 7DII. After finally being able to see the raw images through subscribing to cc I have been scratching my head lol. I moved up from a rebal 1000d. I knew the pictures would look a little bit different but it seems a little too different. I really need to get used to a much more high tech advanced camera. So looking for help here to understand...

They seem to come out of the camera with the whites kinda blown. nothing it clipped tho. Exposure is correct in camera and on the histogram.

Both shots I had to drop the highlights and the whites about all of the way down. I pulled a a little of blue out of the top shot. ND filter for the sky on both. darkened the greens a little.

Do they look odd to you? I cant put a finger on it but it almost looks like its too dynamic. maybe me coming from such a cheapo camera? Should I check any in camera settings that are not obvious. I shot in neutral with everything at 0. I wanted to see what the RAW really looked like. Maybe I shouldn't have haha.

c&c always welcomed on everything.

This is Montezuma's well in Camp Verde, Az

1)
Unedited
QS9A3971-2.jpg

2)
With edit
QS9A3971.jpg

3)
edited
QS9A3962.jpg

4)
Just a fun one, hanging out! I would have centered myself but there were a lot of trees to the left..
1QS9A4031.jpg

5)
Castle
1QS9A3980.jpg

6)
The other side .. I think the greens got pushed to far on luminance. The left tree looks a little like hot dog relish ;)
1QS9A3996.jpg

Attachments

• 1QS9A4031.jpg
    1QS9A4031.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 207
  • QS9A3971.jpg
    QS9A3971.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:
In the first edits, IMO you lost to much exposure.
I suspect you're doing global edits exclusively?

In the first edits, IMO you lost to much exposure.
I suspect you're doing global edits exclusively?
I don't know what global edits are, sorry. What is it?

edit: Also I do agree with the exposure. Its easier to see it with a side by side of the original.
The more I look at the unedited the more I like it for a base picture. Its a heck of a lot more detail then Im used to looking at. might just take getting used to it lol. dono

Last edited:
Global means to edit the entire photo with the same tool/slider/function.
Local means to only edit part of the photo.
Local edits are usually done by selecting only that part of a photo you want to edit.

When you cloned out that white debris thing in the water? That was a local edit.

oh ok got it. makes sense too. it was a little of both. I know used the color tab for individual saturations but everything else was global i think. Should I pick out specifics more to not adjust the whole photo? I havent done much of that

Did you go straight to PS to edit these, or are you using Lightroom at all? You get both programs with CC.
If you have everything zeroed out in your camera and have no preset adjustments upon opening your image in the software, you are likely to get dull looking images.

If you make Raw files, none of the camera picture style settings apply.

JPEG files are limited to an 8-bit color depth, are compressed using a 'lossy' algorithm leaving little editing headroom.
JPEG was designed to be a final, ready-to-print, won't-be-edited-outside-the-camera file type.

Did you go straight to PS to edit these, or are you using Lightroom at all? You get both programs with CC.
If you have everything zeroed out in your camera and have no preset adjustments upon opening your image in the software, you are likely to get dull looking images.
I just used lightroom. I realized after that Ps came with it. I don't know anything about Ps really. I had a copy of CS5 and was intimidated by it. Completely lost even with the help of Utube. In time I guess.

I never really shoot jpegs anymore. I might try both just too see how they come out of the camera. I didn't know that raw strip off any settings. When I import to Lr some of the sliders are moved by default. Saturation and such.

What are the benifits buy using both Ps and Lr to edit? Well logic is Ps has different options but s9 far Lr has most of what I have needed. I would love to learn more.

Check out the instructional videos on the Adobe site - great for Lightroom coverage and getting started

Most reactions

Back