Needing some advice on lighting equipment

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of fleshing out my lighting gear a bit. I'm an amateur and I don't really do any kind of studio work. I'm mostly just out and about with the camera, a few lenses and a hot shoe flash but I'd like to do some studio type macro as well as things like water drops, breaking water balloons ect. I was wondering what brand of OCF soft box you would recommend. I am also not sure if I should get radio receivers and a transmitter or just buy transceivers. Leaning towards Cactus V5s. Here is a list of things I am thinking of getting.

Speed light SB-910

Amazon.com: Nikon 4809 SB-910 Speedlight Supplied with; AS-21 Speedlight Stand; SW-13H Nikon Diffusion Dome; SZ-2FL Fluorescent Filter; SZ-2TN Incandescent Filter; SS-910 Soft Case: NIKON: Camera & Photo

I am currently using a Vivitar 285HV and while it does ok, I would like something a little more versatile for field work and I just really want an SB-910.

Manfrotto 420NSB

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 420NSB 3- Section Combi- Boom Stand without Sand Bag - Replaces 3398B (Black): Camera & Photo

Manfrotto is a good name brand and I like the versatility of the light stand/ boom combo.

Neewer 110CM

Amazon.com: Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector: Electronics

Not to sure about the brand but I have heard people time and again talk about how much a good reflector can improve your photography (once you learn how to use them).

So what do you guys think, am I on the right track?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am a fan if photo flex for cool lights and chimera for hot lights.

Check out the pocket wizard X transceivers. Good price and hassle free.

Expensive gear is fun and cool, but it doesn't equate to better photography. An SB-910 will work, but so will an SB-700. Radio triggers will work, but so will the built-in infrared for free, if you understand its limitations. Nikon doesn't make that stuff just for kicks; it does work. You can't tell what brand or model of flash or modifier was used to make an image by looking at it. The quality of light and the principles of light are the same. Your list is reasonable but again master the principles with the cheap stuff before you invest more in gear.

Expensive gear is fun and cool, but it doesn't equate to better photography. An SB-910 will work, but so will an SB-700. Radio triggers will work, but so will the built-in infrared for free, if you understand its limitations. Nikon doesn't make that stuff just for kicks; it does work. You can't tell what brand or model of flash or modifier was used to make an image by looking at it. The quality of light and the principles of light are the same. Your list is reasonable but again master the principles with the cheap stuff before you invest more in gear.

I agree with some portions. Try the commander mode on your nikon first before dropping the $200 minimum in radios. But don't skimp on stands and soft boxes. Buy a good quality stand and it will last you for 15 years.

I get that $$$ doesn't equal skill but you definitly don't want to skimp on certain things like tripods, memory cards, ect and I have seen examples of cheaper soft boxes not producing the same results as higher end models. Going cheap at first then getting the higher end gear later can also be more expensive in the long run and you end up with a bunch of stuff collecting dust. I would like another flash for more complex lighting set ups and as I said, I find myself wanting more than the Vivitar. As for the 910 vs the 700, I'd just prefer the 910.

I can hold off on the triggers until I find I myself needing them. I'm more interested in the practical differences between using a reciever and transmitters and using trancievers. Assuming I decide to get either one the cheaper option may be more than acceptable.

There is no practical difference between an Rx/Tx system and a Trans/Trans system, other than with the Rx/Tx, you have to put the right unit on the camera and the right unit on the light. You may want to consider the Yongnuo radio triggers; while I've not used them myself, I have heard a number of good reports on them.

I have seen examples of cheaper soft boxes not producing the same results as higher end models.

Not sure I believe this. You are paying for build quality when buying the more expensive brands.

I have seen examples of cheaper soft boxes not producing the same results as higher end models.

Not sure I believe this. You are paying for build quality when buying the more expensive brands.

+1

I have to agree, although there may be slight color/temp variances. I wouldn't mix and match brands too much
bigthumb.gif

Cheap softboxes often do not include an inner diffusion panel and deliver results less appealing as more expensive softboxes that do have an inner diffusion panel..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back