Neeed Help Please! :(

BallazDream32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am absolutely torn as to what to do. I am fairly new at photography, but I want to get a good DSLR. It's a big investment and I want to make sure I make the right choice. I do want to do somewhat professional work. There are two camera packages that I am looking at, but need the experts opinions.

Package #1 ($899.95)
Nikon D5000

Nikon D5000 Body
18-55mm & 55-200mm AF-S G VR Zoom Lens
(2) Batteries
(2) UV Filters
16GB Card
Lens Cleaning Kit

or

Package #2 ($1019.95)
Nikon D90

Nikon D90 Body
Tamron 28-80mm & 70-300mm Lens
16GB Card
(1) Extra Battery
Lens Cleaning Kit

Obviously later on (maybe a year down the road) I will buy accessories (flashes, maybe some other lenses, more filters, etc.)

Please let me know what the better deal is for me. I really don't want to make the wrong decision. Any input would help.

I would get a D90, but get some Nikon brand lenses. The autofocus speed and accuracy on nikon lenses are much better. And if you are doing some studio work later on you can use the D90's built in flash to control SB-600s, 800s, and 900s with Nikon's CLS.

You can get the D90 with only the body for $800 and the 18-55 sells for around $100 and you can find the 55-200 with VR for around $200.

But there are many options that you can go with. And you can always rent a camera before you buy one.

D90.
Depending on where you're getting them, you might have different kits.
Good Luck

Another point to keep in mind is that the listed D90 kit totally lacks any wide angle focal lengths. Depending on your style of photography and preferred subject matter, this could be a very serious shortcoming.

This image quality differences between the D5000 and D90 are insignificant in the real world. The body differences are in their feature differences, smaller size and articulated LCD on the plus side for the D5000 while better VF, more extensive flash control, and more extensive AF support for AF older lenses are the main pluses for the D90.

Thanks everyone for your help! I will take these things into consideration.

you are new to photography, but want to take professional images...can you be a bit more specific as to HOW new to photography you are?

only reason i ask is because i think you might be able to take your dollar further if you considered a lesser body, better glass, and maybe a flash or 2. personally i think you would be able to carry it further and learn more if you didnt blow your wad on a higher grade body.
have you considered used? check adorama, or KEH for nice prices on used stuff.

not gospel of course...just my opinion :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back