NEF File Converter Suggestions

Bigguy136

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got a Nikon D33400 thanks to everyone's help here. It looks like it should work well for what I want.

I typically just want JPG images but I'm taking a motorcycle ride to the Arctic Circle this summer and would like to take my photos in raw format in case I want to do more with my photos later in life.
Is there a converter program you would recommend that is free or low cost? I read some about Nikon's NX converters. Do I get that program as part of my camera purchase?
If there isn't any decent low cost programs to convert, should I use Adobe Lightroom? Something else?
I would like something that can do batch file conversions.

Thanks so much.

Nikon's ViewNX 2 (it might be 3 or 4 by now) should come with the camera. It can convert the NEF to JPG or TIFF and has some basic editing functions. Lightroom will also read the NEF files and has a lot more functions foe editing and cataloging. You might need to download Adobe Camera Raw (free download) - I don't know how that is incorporated into Adobe's software rental setup.

THANKS!!!
I was looking around and I saw Nikon NX2 for $179 so I quit looking into Nikon converters. NX-i is a free download from Nikon and converts as I want. It will also batch convert. Perfect.
Maybe some day I will get more involved but for now I will have the raw data.
Thanks again.

Capture NX2 has been discontinued and is no longer supported. I think the D600 and D810 were the last cameras you can use it with. The D500, D750 etc are not usable with it.

.........I just got a Nikon D33400 ...........

Not sure if this applies to the new (yet seemingly unannounced) series of five-digit Nikon bodies, but all of the two-, three- and four-digit bodies I have can convert .NEFs into .JPEGS in-camera. All mine could only convert one at a time. Maybe the D33400 can batch process them. I dunno. I can't find the D33400 on Nikon's website. :1251:

.........I just got a Nikon D33400 ...........

Not sure if this applies to the new (yet seemingly unannounced) series of five-digit Nikon bodies, but all of the two-, three- and four-digit bodies I have can convert .NEFs into .JPEGS in-camera. All mine could only convert one at a time. Maybe the D33400 can batch process them. I dunno. I can't find the D33400 on Nikon's website. :1251:

I'm able to save as NEF and JPG when I take a picture but that was burning up a lot of disk space. I haven't seen anything yet that would allow my camera convert after.
I'm still very new so I will keep playing.
Thanks for the info :)

Look for In-camera Retouching in the menus on the camera; that's where I found the ability to edit .NEFs to .JPEG files using the camera itself. It is in one of the four, sub-menu fields.

I like Lightroom as my Nikon .NEF editor and retouching aplication. Not free, but stable, fast, and easy to learn and become proficient with.

Take the trip - take all the shots in raw - after the trip sign up for the $10 Lightroom/Photoshop deal - convert and play with your shots - pay the one or two months and then quit. Ten or twenty bucks and you may find you like the power and flexibility..............

If you want to do something with them in the future, the think you use to do something is photo editing software. Most modern photo editing programs will read NEF files. Make sure yours has raw capability. It will save you time.

Just use the lightroom/photoshop duo..
best $10 I spend a month

Most reactions

New Topics

Back