Neg scanner?

Alexandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Anyone got any suggestions of a good neg scanner?
I'm not looking for anything particular, just good scanning (obviously) and if possible something that wouldn't cost me an arm... Also,if it does only b&w i don't mind. I'm easy on the rest.

haha, yeah...
well i've never been that much into medium format. 35mm should do.

I had a quick look and apparently there's just about nowhere to buy a neg scanner in Montreal. And i'd hate having to order one online. Just found some guy's site with tonns of reviews and evaluations of different scanners so i'm looking through...

Until recently I would have suggested a Konica Minolta Scan Dual IV for a budget film scanner, but as of March 31 they are no longer in the photography business, and nobody sells their scanners anymore. There are some eBay sellers with old stock for around US$200, but I'm not sure whether KM will be providing warranty and support in the forseeable future. All the eBay sales are from US sellers, and I know for a fact that KM Canada would not service scanners bought in the US. Same goes for Nikon, which is why I bought my scanner from a place in Canada.

I own a Nikon Coolscan V purchased from Simon's Cameras in Montreal, so I have not really looked around at the cheaper film scanner options for some time now. I know even a year or two ago there were lots of new options appearing at the bottom end, so I'm sure some other posters here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Bob_McBob said:
Until recently I would have suggested a Konica Minolta Scan Dual IV for a budget film scanner, but as of March 31 they are no longer in the photography business, and nobody sells their scanners anymore. There are some eBay sellers with old stock for around US$200, but I'm not sure whether KM will be providing warranty and support in the forseeable future. All the eBay sales are from US sellers, and I know for a fact that KM Canada would not service scanners bought in the US. Same goes for Nikon, which is why I bought my scanner from a place in Canada.

I own a Nikon Coolscan V purchased from Simon's Cameras in Montreal, so I have not really looked around at the cheaper film scanner options for some time now. I know even a year or two ago there were lots of new options appearing at the bottom end, so I'm sure some other posters here will be able to point you in the right direction.
Well I already had a look through most electronics stores' sites here in Montreal. Most of them don't have anything or very few options, but I'm still not going to order from the US.
I found a quite nice one at Future Shop (and it's like $150cnd!), but what disturbs me is that it's a flatbed scanner with just a film adapter... My current flatbed sucks for prints (but it's really old), so I'm not quite sure if a flatbed scanner, however new, would be sitable for film :hertz:

For the price I say go with the Minolta Dual Scan IV. Sony is supposed to provide support for their Minolta products. I have the Epson 4990pro and am very happy with it so far. But its or was 3x the price of the Minolta at the time. Pacific Image makes a cheaper film unit for around $120 US, but its only 1800 dpi. For a near 300 dpi print (more like 220 to 280) that limits you to 8x10.

Epson is currently selling remanufactured 4870's for $200 on their site (it has the same specs as the 4990 but probably has slightly older version fo digital ice and other software). That is their good flat bed from couple years ago. Since replaced by the 4990, and now again with the v750??

The epson flatbeds do not use a plug in light source like some of the others. It actually has a light source in the lid. Thats why they can do the larger scans like 4x5 and 8x10's.

If you are going to be with 35mm film only. For the $200 or so price range I still say go with the Minolta. I would even bet you will see a new Sony version of it comming out in the not too distant future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back