negatives look bad scanned, print well?

grokglock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a standard HP flatbed scanner and tried scanning some negatives inside a negative page, the kind that hold your negatives in a binder.

I only wanted to see how they would look once inverted in photoshop as I am preparing a wet lab for printing. In any case, they look terrible no matter what I did in photoshop I could not get anything I would deem useable even for viewing on a screen. They all seem overexposed but the negative seems to have great tonal range. Do you think this negative will print well?

Attachments

• $IMG_00000357.jpg
    $IMG_00000357.jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 229
That neg will print just fine. On a desktop flatbed, you need to have a backlighted top light source to scan a negative or slide. Without it, the scans will be utter rubbish.

They look like they should scan fine too, but like Gary and Derrel said - not the way you're trying it.

Scanning through the neg holder will be contact sheet quality, at best. Was the lid on the scanner open or closed? Results will probably be better with it open - but don't expect a huge improvement.

Thanks guys, I took that same picture and inverted it and it looks pretty decent. I think you are absolutely right about my scanner being the culprit, thankfully I plan on wet printing these.

I agree, that negative should print fine. If you look at your negatives and they seem to have decent contrast that should be enough to know if they're worth putting in the enlarger. I've managed on occasion (and luckily have only had to try it a few times) to get a good print out of a really dark/dense neg but usually not if the neg is really thin. If you get a good exposure when you take the photo you'll probably get good negatives to print from.

Probably a negative holder for your scanner would work better. Lomography makes/sells some but I don't know if they're designed to fit or work with all scanners or not.

Or scan your prints, I've scanned some of my photos I did in the darkroom and they've scanned pretty well.

just wanted to update the thread for closure. The negatives did print well, fantastically even. It definitely WAS the SCANNER. this message is meant to resolve any similar concerns for posterity.

Most reactions

Back