Nervousness at the Start of Portrait Sessions

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed doing portrait photography, however, it always takes me about 10 minutes to (for lack of a better term) “find my groove.”

The first 10 minutes of photos are not the best, but once I get past the “nervous” part, I really enjoy the photo session and the photos become much better.

My question is, how do I make myself, as well as my subject/model comfortable in the beginning so that I can have a better photo session?

Before the model arrives, whether studio or an outdoor setting, I show up early, set up a head and shoulders dummy and play with lighting. This helps me make sure my gear is working, lighting is near right, and acts as a warm up for me, which helps shakes off some nerves. When the model (and entourage) arrives we sit down and talk for a while about what each of us is trying to accomplish with the shoot. I show samples of my work to see what the model likes and talk about poses. I try and put the model at ease, especially moms with kids, or moms and dads with pets, letting them know we can break at any time they want, if something makes them uncomfortable, they need to bring it up immediately so we can work though it as an uncomfortable model may not shoot well. I ask if they have any concerns before we get going. This talk time puts us all at ease.

The level and detail of the discussions change depending what type of shoot it is. Easy ones tend to be professional head and shoulder shots. Most of the time, we a done within an hour. Pets are fairly routine if the mom and dad can get them to sit or stand and stay for a bit. I always ask if mom or dad want to take a few shots with their pet. Before pet shoots, I ask for a smartphone pic of their pet so I can find a good background. Families and kids are a bit tougher as mom (usually) or dad are looking for that "something" in the shot. Beauty shots including pregnancy shots and shots for model portfolios, especially with wardrobe and makeup get very involved can be challenging and sometimes can take a whole day to shoot, a lot of set and lighting changes, and a lot of mem cards.

Something I find invaluable is to shoot tethered to let the model see their images on a larger screen before we wrap up.

I struggle with the small-talk that can help your model to relax, so for the few portrait sessions I've done, I had a friend as an assistant, and she took care of the casual chatting while I focused on the shoot.

I struggle with the small-talk that can help your model to relax, so for the few portrait sessions I've done, I had a friend as an assistant, and she took care of the casual chatting while I focused on the shoot.

Thank you! I was just wondering if you had any tips for small talk? :)

pls let me know because after 10+ years in business I still get nervous at almost every session :p keeps you on your toes, I suppose ;)

Thank you! I was just wondering if you had any tips for small talk? :)

I'm not a natural - which is why my 'assistant' sometimes helps, and she can make compliments without it sounding creepy. But saying something positive and specific about clothing, style etc is a good place to start - avoiding anything too personal. Then ask general questions about how the days gone so far, family, work, weather, traffic. Pick up on what your model says, add something relevant from your own experience to show that you are interested, and to give a little insight into yourself - then focus on the job in hand, explain what 'look' you are aiming to achieve, ask how your model likes to work - specific direction or general aims and then improvised poses. Most important - give positive feedback as you go ..... "great pose", "that's a nice look" ..... always say something positive before you add more direction. "That's a very cool look, now can you turn a little towards me and ...... ".

It's not a date, so you don't need to overthink it, you just want to create a relaxed atmosphere and build a rapport so you can direct the shoot.

I was always prepped and ready to shoot whenever the subject arrived. I forced myself to engage in chitchat, although it took a while to make it natural. When we were ready to step into the posing area, I always "guided" the subject by lightly grasping their elbow. This was not particularly intimate, but it did most always, set the subject at ease. I also kept them advised as to what I was doing; metering, last second light adjustment, etc. I would then enlist their help with a final light test. I had a push-button trigger attached to the power pack. This always seemed to get them to relax. I then made the last focusing and camera height adjustments. I then talked to the subject and fired the camera while talking. Follow-up shots were always easy when I did this.

Just my personal technique, YMMV.

Thanks! That is the one thing, I do not have problems talking/making small talk, but since I am nervous, I seem to talk too much.

Haha, how do I "maximize" small-talk while "minimizing "words"?

I go on their social media page. Lots of info at what they're into. It probably comes easier to me as I am a professional salesman. My greatest strength is listening, key to productive communication. If you want to take the stress out, get them to talk about themselves or a subject they initiate. Listen, ask questions based on what they say.

Classic, genuine politeness makes things smooth. Being polite starts before the shoot. Talk about their expectations and desires of the imagery you'll provide. Deliver. This can be a great dialog on the shoot... "Joe, you told me that you wanted people to see your strength and blue collar work ethic in the image"... do the research, plan, and execute their desire.

Most reactions

Back