netbook that allows cs4?

henkelphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys!

I'm interested in getting one of those little netbook computers (the ones with a 10" screen) for travel. But all I've found say they have a 1.6 ghz processor. CS4 says it needs a 2.0 ghz processor.

Has anyone tried to load CS4 on one of these? Alternately, are there any programs that will process NEF images that can run on a 1.6 ghz processor that won't take all day (read: Capture NX)?

Thanks!

i dont think a netbook for raw processing is such a good idea :/

not entirely sure though... maybe theres some new more powerful netbooks out there

I'm guessing it's asking a little much of a Netbook, though I do know a few people who've tried one with audio recording software (Cakewalk Sonar) successfully, so it might be worth trying - your mileage may vary though, as they say.

Given all netbooks these days come with Vista, and Micro$oft in a desperate money grab decided that netbooks only qualify for cheap vista if they have 1GB or less of RAM they really don't make a very suitable photo editing application.

Even on a windows XP computer I would be cautious about running the latest photoshop on such a low speced machine. Infortunately they are called Netbooks because surfing the net is about all they are good for :(

I think they can be useful for backing up your images in-the-field/on-the-job...but they are probably not the best solution for any sort of serious editing.

You could also easily use one that is tethered to your camera while shooting, creating instant back-up and/or giving you a lot of memory capacity.

I agree with the above posters that I would not recommend using a netbook with Adobe CS4... That being said, it is possible to put photoshop cs4 on a netbook, and it loads relatively quickly. However, once you start to open images and do anything with it, it will go exceptionally slow.

ubuntu and gimp it.........

Not ideal, but neither is processing out in the field, but it would get your through until you return

I guess this is one of those "It seemed like a good idea at the time," moments. My thought was not to work the photos, but at least to view them. The netbook seems like such a good idea for travelling. Maybe I can get my View NX program to work, or I can just shoot jpeg while travelling :grumpy: and load my old PS7 program.

Jerry

That actually seems a less taxing use of a Netbook. You can replace the standard RAM card with a 2Gb version which would help. What I would look at is whether you need CS4 just to view the images, the software that came with the camera may well be all you need and I'm guessing would be less of an imposition on the Netbooks' resources than CS4. I might even look at doing that with mine now I come to think about it.

I have a netbook with Lightroom for travelling. It's painfully slow. I would never use it for editing. I download my raw files to it for storage and edit when I get home.

netbook = internet,mail and so on, not cs4 or cad...

if all you are wanting to do is to view the photos that is not a problem at all. I often bring a netbook with me to weddings for backing up the photos onto a larger hard drive and then can easily browse through the photos if I desire. You may have to download some basic software but you shouldn't need CS4 to do it.

You can edit photos, just one at a time. No batching... period. I've installed a stripped down version of WinXP using nLite (nlite.com), and that frees up memory for other purposes and reduces the system processes, giving you more available CPU as well. I'm on an Acer Aspire One AA150.

Maybe look at an older version of PS? Or just try not to multitask... and get one with atleast a gig of ram. I think the MSI Wind takes 2 gigs of RAM and has a "turbo" mode that overclocks the CPU to around 2GHz. Might be your best bet.

Like Antithesis, I imagine that using older software like CS2 and XP might work fine. 1GB used to be a large amount of RAM, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Anyone with XP able to check how much RAM PS and/or ACR consume on a 10+MP image?

Well, I've got a copy of PS7, but you can't do raw on that version. Anything else is not available except for CS4. And no, I don't believe in or use bootleg software (just in case anyone might suggest it).

Jerry

Most reactions

Back